View Single Post
Old 2010-10-07, 11:08 AM   #38
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but is running snow-specific tires truly worth the cost?

I have the RE070s for summer, not thinking of running them anymore until March-ish. But, been considering either snow-specific or all-season tires (yes Scott, I know you have some Falken Ziexs available ).

I've run both all-seasons and studded snows on my 4-wheel-drives in the past, and truly loved how solid the Grand Cherokee was on studded Winter Force, but the "hassle" of maintaining a lower freeway speed, and not being able (or at least wanting) to drive the car into warmer areas is indicative that all-seasons might be a better choice.

At this time I'm leaning more towards running some all-seasons (something like a set of used Falken Ziexs, for example ) year round and keeping the RE070s for fun (when does next season start???).

My driving consists of 30-40 miles commute daily from Stead to Sparks, with absolutely no leeway for being late because of snow. I head over to Tahoe often, but not regularly - hoping to get the snowmobiles out more than a few times this year, but last year we only got them out once. Also, my bum knees mean I don't ride much if at all.

Anyway, looking for thoughts here as to the what would truly be more cost-effective in the long run, yet still dependable to get to work - snows (studded or not) or all-seasons???

My current options are used studded snows for the stock 17" wheels for $150, used all-seasons for the stock 17" wheels (or a 17x8 ) for roughly $250, or used all-seasons on 18" wheels for $500. And being the materialistic, fashion over function kinda guy that I am, I'm leaning towards the 18" set up for daily use.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote