Old 2005-12-11, 05:55 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSTI
Street/Drag Racing...your only going straight...so you dont put as much wear on the tires as you would be going fast and turning/braking.
Brakes, you are going from high speeds to 20mph maybe less on a track...on the street you can usually just coast and/or downshift.
Yes youre still flogging the car..but its not around a bunch of curves..dont get me wrong...i WANT to road race,but you have to get a license and like i said..tires,pads etc.
Street Racing/Draging on track you dont need a thing until i belive sub 13's.
To clarify...i wasnt saying that drag racing at the track is expensive..om saying road racing is. The main reasons i dont go to the track are:
1.Far away, i could understand going to Sparks/Carson City for a DEDICATED drag track...but if its mainly a road course that you have to have a license to use its not really worth it.
2.There isnt really many chances to go..its mainly road course stuff
3.You have to have saftey checks...which i AGREE with, but for the few times i hit 100+..i dont want to add a roll cage/racing seats.

FYI: I prefer road racing to drag racing...like i said i stopped street racing as much as i can. But if i find myslelf on a wide open road with a Mustang/Camaro/Porsche that wants to go and isnt acting like a idiot..ill go..but no faster than 100. I am saving to get a 5.0 Mustang to use as a track car...but its not gonna happen for at least 4-5 years.
My initial comments were to compare drag racing on the street vs. drag racing at the track. You said you'd rather run 0-60 on the street because taking it to the track is costs too much due to wear on the tires and brakes...

However, if you want to talk road race... I've driven what I estimate to be at least 1000 miles at Reno-Fernley. Sure it eats tires, brake pads, rotors, fluid, gas, maybe even a wheel bearing or two... but all those cost a hell of a lot less than oh, say the 5 years of jail time for crossing over the double yellow on Geiger and killing a family of four in their mini-van while racing some Porsche down the hill. Extreme example? Sure. But I can guarentee you won't kill any innocent bystanders out at Reno-Fernely... something you can't guarentee me won't happen on the street.

And to dispel some of the mis-information:

You don't need a "race license" or anything to drive at the track. All you need to do it drive with the school out there, or with a club that's putting on a track day. You only need a license for test-n-tune... and those are easy to get... simply take a day of the drivers school out there and get signed off.

You don't need a roll cage to drive at the track. Unless of course you've got a convertible w/o a factory roll hoop. Cages are only required for competition.

There are many wonderful tracks within driving distance of Reno. RFR is what, about 40 minutes away? Thunderhill and Sears Point are 3 hours away. And Laguna Seca (a track that people will travel thousands of miles to drive on) is only 5 hours away. If someone thinks those are "too far away", I question their interest in road racing. IMO Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta are "too far away"... at least considering the quality tracks that are right here.

And if you think the safety checks are a hassle that make street racing a better alternative to taking it to the track... well I don't know what to say about that without sounding like a complete asshole.