View Single Post
Old 2013-04-16, 04:30 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

People used to go with the biggest front bar possible back when only the front bar was allowed in Stock. The idea was that if the front bar was super stiff, it would prevent roll on the front axle, which would prevent positive dynamic camber, which would ultimately lead to more grip.

A still front bar is generally counter-productive to improving front end grip. This was a special situation specifically related to autocross and the fact you weren't allowed to change the rear bar. Normal logic would say that a very soft front bar would improve handling by making the rear relatively stiffer.

So, I can't say with any certainty, but IMO I would expect that going to a massive rear bar and leaving the front stock would be better. Sure, the stock front dynamic camber will still suck, but at least the rear will rotate anyway. Ideally, you'd go very stiff on both ends (but stiffer in the rear), but that's not allowed.

When the new "Street" rules replace Stock, and you'll be allowed camber devices + 1 bar, the obvious answer will be "add a bunch of negative camber to the front axle, install a big rear bar". So, in prep for next year's rules... go with the rear bar.