View Single Post
Old 2013-04-03, 07:57 PM   #23
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
Broken a lot by SOA Rally team. (and the PWRC team as well) doing Rally!

but to be honest they don't really market it much, and even when they do, it doesn't matter how often they break down as long as they can get a few 5 second clips of a cool looking drift. and they pretty much always win in the US (helps a lot there are no other factory teams in the us competing against them, and they hire the best drivers)

Subaru as a factory effort competes in Rally-America Open championship and they also still compete in P-WRC
and to my knowledge Subaru doesn't have any other official factory race teams in any other motor sport.
Dude. There is no high volume, low price point, production car on the market that has a suspension purposely designed to hold up for extended periods under the loadings generated during any type of racing.. period.

I guarantee that "Monte Carlo rally stage" is not one of the fatigue load cases that the Subaru design team used to validate the current car, nor will it be for the next design. That would be prohibitively heavy and/or expensive because component durability always carries with it a weight and/or cost penalty. These cars are designed for fairly normal street usage by fairly normal drivers, just like pretty much every other car made in a factory.

Expecting a mass produced vehicle to be an awesome rally car right off the assembly line is just a flat out unrealistic expectation.