View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 04:07 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Thumbs up Sierra Invisible Shield

At the recommendation of some folks here, I had my new-to-me Outback clear-bra'd at Sierra Invisible Shield.

http://sierrainvisibleshield.com/
1645 Crane Way, Sparks, NV 89431
Office (775) 857-2606
Fax: (775) 322-1023
dexter@nvbell.net

SIS is run by Dexter Baker and his son Dexter Jr. at the same location as Sierra AutoSport and C&C in Sparks off Rock Blvd right next to I80. Some of you guys will know the Dexters from the black GTV6 Alfa Romeo they run at Reno SCCA time trials. While I was there, old Dexter gave me a tour of the place... Dave at C&C was there still wrenching on their SuperLight 25hr of T-Hill car, the AutoSport guys were up to their elbows in Ferrari guts, and Dexter's partner was painting up a work truck. Dexter also showed me his Alfa collection.

Anyway, young Dexter and his crew were able to do-up my Outback in under 4 hours. The Venture Shield kit covers the front bumper, lights, leading edge of the hood and fenders, and the side mirrors. Plus, they did a bunch of customization, including stretching the hood/fender portion of the kit by probably 30% on the computer before cutting it in order to cover a bunch more of the front hood and fenders. They also did custom bits on the rear bumper to protect the bumper and trunk lid when loading the trunk, as well as some custom bits on the rear wheel wells/fenders.

The normal price for the Outback is $675. Dexter was able to knock a good percentage off that, as well as include all the custom work. We did not negotiate an "official" SECCS price or anything, but as those guys are local racers and car enthusiasts, I have no doubt they'll be willing to hook up anyone anyone that mentions SECCS or RenoSCCA as best they can.

So, I highly recommend Sierra Invisible Shield for clear bra... For every car I own, I've always thought about getting the car covered, but never got around to it before the winter sand demolished the paint. Now that I know there's someone local worth bringing it to, I've got no excuses. I just need to get the rest of my cars repainted.

I'll try to get some pictures of the finished product up here... but considering how invisible the stuff actually is, and how dirty the Outback is now that it's snowing, it may be a while before I can take any shots worth looking at.