Thread: The JIC Drama
View Single Post
Old 2004-01-19, 11:40 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

To follow up on the story (for posterity's sake). I recieved the overnighted coilovers, and got them on the car in time for NORPAC, after an all-nighter install fest.

The 'tards at Firestone that did my last alignment were kind enough to strip one of my front camber bolts. I had to use the spare bolts from the rear to hold the fronts on temporarily. I ordered some new camber bolts that finally arrived today... 'course they only sent me one, even tho I ordered two . So, now I get to wait another week for SubaruParts.com to get their act together and send me a bolt.

In the meantime, I'll install one old one, and one new one, and I should be cool. Then I gotta get a decent alignment.

Now for the worst news: After all the work to get the latest version JICs to prevent bounce, my car has a TON OF BOUNCE. In fact it's damn near unbearable on long trips. I've got a ton of things to try... chances are, I just haven't gotten the setup sorted out yet, as I still need to mess w/ the pre-load, the ride height, the damping, and the alignment. I've been told these extended stroke struts will work w/ ZERO bounce, so it's just a matter of toying with them till they're right.

On the other hand, even setup poorly, I haven't found the limit of the car's handling yet. In fact, I think I'll never find the limit on the street, since I flat out don't drive that fast on public streets. I'm dying to hit up the AutoX course to really toss the car around on these things. But chances are, I won't really know what the car can do until I get it out on a race track... Pahrump, here I come!!

So even with the bounce issue, these things are AMAZING!