View Single Post
Old 2005-12-27, 01:57 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default The "good find" sperry-rant.

WTF is with the use of the phrase "good find" lately? I swear I see it everywhere! As if the whole point of the internet is to forage about, looking for tid-bits of the same crap with a different name on it, so that we can present it to our e-friends on such-and-such.com's forums in hopes that we may get one or two people that praise us with the highest internet honor, a "good find".

Perhaps it's just the fact that everything's already been done and seen a million times over on the internet already. The fact that 99% of the crap posted is "WTLW". Is that what makes people feel they need to spew-forth admiration to another for simply finding something that doesn't suck and isn't a re-post? But even so, if that's the case, why the phrase "good find"? I know I'm not out there browsing the 'net trying to "find good things". All I'm looking for is the specific information I need, like wheel offsets, or a cheap hard drive, or some simple 3 on 9 on 1 action. If I think someone else might be looking for the same thing, I'll post it up. I don't care if you think it's a "good find" or not, just fucking click the link, or don't.

I think what bothers me is that saying "good find" is about as useful as throwing down a "LOLLLLers!!!!!!!1" in response to something funny. It adds *nothing* to the original post. Shit, if I post a joke, I *know* it's funny, that's why I posted it. You don't need to tell me you laughed, mostly 'cause I don't give a fuck if you laughed or not, and partially because it's a contentless post that ultimately wastes bandwidth. If you've got something to add that will entertain me back, then by all means, post it up, but just laughing along smacks of "me-too-ism".

Similarly, letting me know something I found on the internet is "good", is just a pathetetic attempt to try to gain cool-points by association w/ whatever it was that I found that was good. Guess what Chuckels, I posted it *because* it was good in some way... I don't fucking need to be told how good the coffee in my fucking house is, I buy the good shit, because when Bonny goes shopping she buys crap.

Finally, I think the real reason it bothers me so, is 'cause back in the dorms at college, I had a fat-ass retarded roommate from the armpit of California (Fresno). This mental giant could pigeon-hole all of the world into two catagories: stuff that was "good" and stuff that was "not good". (I know, I know, how did he keep his system straight!?!) Anyway, if something pleased him he said "good stuff", if it didn't "that's not good stuff". Thank you fucking Einstein for breaking it down and letting me know. After 6 months of hearing the phrase "good stuff" tossed around on an hourly basis, I couldn't fucking take it, an started living my life 180 degrees out of phase w/ the mutherfucker. I slept while he was at class, and went out while he was home trying to bang ugly virgin chicks in our dorm room... (there was one girl, everyone on the floor caller her simple "the beast"... and she never gave it up to my roommate either... beast-owned!). Anyway, the whole "good find" thing is just too close to the "good stuff" retardation of old.

So in closing, if you're going to post the two words "good find" in response to someone else's post, at the very least, let us know *why* it's good for god's sake. Add some content to the board, expand the knowledge of others, enhance the goodness of the indicated "find". If you don't, well just post these two words instead: "ban me". And trust me, I'm gonna come up with something nice and devious for the chuckle-head that posts "good find" in this thread.

This has been a sperry-rant(tm) -- All rights reserved

Last edited by sperry; 2005-12-27 at 02:00 AM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote