Thread: Dyno Numbers
View Single Post
Old 2009-07-08, 02:24 PM   #481
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Name: Cody
Car: 2003 WRX Wagon
Mods: Crucial UP & DP, Borla Hush CBE, K&N Drop-In, Heat Wrapped Stock Headers (3rd Cat remains), Intake Silencer Delete, Omori Boost & EGT Gauges, Cobb Protuned by Equilibrium Tuning
Wheel HP: 208.3 @ 6370 RPM
Wheel Tq: 210.8 @ 4050 RPM
Dyno: Equilibrium Tuning Road Dyno (very comparable to the Gruppe-S Mustang Dyno)

Ed of Equilibrium Tuning road tuned my car with Cobb Protune. It was a low 90’s degree day in Davis and the roads were practically baron. We started by taking a baseline pull. Ed commented that my car’s Advanced Multiplier was only at 7 out of 16 so he wasn’t surprised when my car only put down stock-like numbers despite my mods.

He then loaded a base map he had made and we returned to the road dyno. The car came alive like it never had before. The map was damn good from the get go and only got better over the course of the next few hours as he fine tuned it. We did about 10 3rd gear pulls and a couple 1st through 3rd gear pulls and 1 shift to 4th gear. I was surprised how much power the car was making. Ed was surprised how fast my car hit target boost (a hair over 17 PSI). It was a whole new car. No more stepping on it and waiting for the turbo to spool up. Some people have been replacing the OEM boost solenoids with an inexpensive GM one that helps response. The stocker often has a hard time getting to the top couple PSI. My car didn’t have this problem. Ed said it acted like it had a MBC.

This was the first time Ed has ever tuned a car with Crucial pipes and we think that could explain the better than normal boost response. It was incredible how fast the boost needle would swing to 17 and just stop on a dime every time. He said twin dump DP’s are much easier to tune for than bellmouth. But even taking that into consideration, he was very impressed with my boost response. I think the ceramic coating and streamline design are what make all the difference.

Thank you Crucial and thank you Ed! You both get 10 out of 10.

Here's my before and after graphs, overlayed for comparison.
When Ed was up recently, he offered to give my car a checkup down at his shop in Fairfield to make sure that my tune is safe at sea level. So last Friday I stopped by and he was very impressed with the fact that the tune was totally safe at sea level and really didn't require any tweaking at all. He did make a couple tweaks but he said he wouldn't even bother flashing the new real-time map or base map he made me. This was pretty impressive given that this tune was made at 5200 feet. Also, it felt damn fast! Even in 80 degree weather with two large guys in the car and my injectors maxed out, the AFR's were safe and my car felt like a beast. At sea level, the turbo spools up fully by 2.8K RPM and the car feels so torquey!

Big thanks to Ed. I now feel safe romping on my car at any elevation.

Car: 2003 WRX Wagon (105,000 miles on the clock)
Mods: Crucial UP, DP and High-Flow catted Mid, Borla Hush CBE, Heat Wrapped Stock Headers, IC Y-Pipe, One step colder Denso Irridium plugs (with like 50K miles on them), Hallman Pro RX MBC (16.5 PSI on the stock turbo), Walbro Fuel Pump, Intake Silencer Delete, Omori Boost & (dead) EGT Gauges, Cobb Protuned by Equilibrium Tuning
Wheel HP: 219.8 @ 6260 RPM
Wheel Tq: 224 @ 3860 RPM
Dyno: Equilibrium Tuning Road Dyno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91 Tuned.png
Views:	912
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5612  

Last edited by cody; 2009-07-09 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added Fuel Pump to List
cody is offline   Reply With Quote