Thread: Dyno Numbers
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-06, 08:38 PM   #491
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Right now: Fuel pump and cobb stage 1 map

I can't believe how slow a stock STi feels now. When I first got it it was the fastest car I had ever driven

Here is what I would do if I mod the car again based on everything I have learned:

- I would keep a cat in the exhaust. The tiny difference in spool and power was not worth the extra noise and stinky exhaust.
- Stick to a TMIC ... the FMIC did its job perfectly ... but it was still a giant pain in the neck. Not worth the hassle IMHO.
- I will keep the stock muffler on. I have no idea how much power that would give up, but being the loud douche bag of the neighbourhood got old. It was half the reason I hated driving my car the last couple of years (the suspension was the other half!)
- A smaller turbo is probably better! The car on the GT52 on 100 octane was truly insane. On the street with snow tyres on it is hard to drive in a straight line going up a highway on-ramp. I loved this thing! However ... 100 octane was fucking expensive, and I usually was lucky to get 130 miles out of a tank! On 91 I think the car was actually more fun on the stock turbo. On 91 the small extra gain in power was not worth the extra lag of the big turbo. On 100 octane it definitely was. Also I had a good run with reliability on my engine, although having a fantastic tuner (Mike W. at GST) probably had a lot to do with that ... but a smaller turbo will always be safer for the engine than a larger one.

So I would think long and hard before going larger than a 20g sized turbo, and just stick with 91. Although on the other hand, if E85 ever comes to Reno
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote