View Single Post
Old 2011-01-07, 05:59 PM   #16
supraluke
EJ18

Car: 2007 Subaru WRB STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
On an aside... virtually all aftermarket headers fail eventually on a car that's run hard. I remember talking to Mike Warfield at GST about their L time attack car... at the time they had just switched back to stock headers because it was the only thing that could stand up to the punishment.

I ended up doing the same thing. I sold my Gruppe-S headers and went back to stock, though I did it because the Gruppe-S headers wouldn't clear the Cosworth oil pan I got. But in the long run, I think the OEM headers are the most reliable, even with that flex joint that will eventually fail. Grimmspeed does porting/polishing/coating of stock headers that seem to be the best of both worlds: aftermarket performance, stock reliability. I should have a set as soon as Kspeed gets back to me on a price.
I ending up having a new flex piece put in. I wasn't happy that isn't wasn't stainless but it was all that Summit sold. Ending up costing me $200 bucks total. I hope it holds up. If you want to use the stock headers, take a look at this EQ Tuning crosspipe:

Kind of makes me wish I kept my stock ones too.
supraluke is offline   Reply With Quote