Thread: accident
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-30, 03:18 PM   #24
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
If you still owe on the car, usually the insurance company will not give you the check. They will reimburse you or pay the shop directly though. If you have it paid off, they will cut you the check for their repair estimate.
That was my experience with Progressive. When I last crashed my car a couple years ago, I still owed money on it. I had the car repaired, but the bodyshop was willing to let me do whatever I wanted with parts money. For example the insurance company gave me something like $1200 for two damaged wheels and $300 for the tires. The body shop just gave me that money since I brought them another set of wheels and tires to put on the car. There were countless other parts I went aftermarket for, etc. When I picked up the finished car, they cut me a check for all of the parts that they didn't have to purchase but the insurance company had paid them for, minus my $500 deductable.

Okay, that part wasn't really all that relevant but this part is. Before I even drove the car off or signed anything, I called my agent and complained about the paint job and several other little things. Progressive paid to have the little things fixed...and agreed to give me $1750 since "you can't color match yellow". Progressive wouldn't cut me that check until I had the car painted or paid the car off. I paid the car off and as soon as I faxed them a copy of the pink slip, they sent me a check for $1750. Mind you this was a year later and I wasn't even with Progressive anymore.