sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
We need spotted cards like DirtyImpreza.com has good way to grow the memberbase
We had stacks and stacks of them in the past. And while they got the word out in 2002, I just don't think they really work that well these days... anyone that's interested in an online forum is savvy enough these days to simply google us up.

Plus, what's the point of "growing the memberbase" if new people come out to the meet or visit the board and there's no one there. They may be a new member, but only for a day or two. The first thing necessary to grow the club is to have active people that actively want to grow the club and provide value that other's will join to get. That's really what's missing, as pointed out in Sam's thread on the topic. We used to bring people together with autocross, tech info, and general camaraderie. These days, the racing is down to just the hard-core few, all of the common tech questions have been answered about these cars (at least to the point where there isn't much to discuss), and the camaraderie is such that it's kinda all inside jokes amongst the old schoolers these days.

Personally, I'm not super concerned with growing the club. I like the board and the folks on it as it is today. I don't get out to the meets much, but when I go I go because people I already know are also going. SECCS is "comfortable" as it is. Now that's not to say I don't want the club to grow, or that I'd stand in the way of other members that want to grow the club. In fact, I'd love to see others pick up this popsicle and run with it a bit. It's just not a big enough concern of mine to actively work hard at getting new members, especially when a lot of the Subaru scene (at least nationally) these days is full of flat-brimmer, extreme-sport, hellaflush, street-racer type kids that I don't identify with.

In the past, my car and SECCS was basically 100% of my social life... it consumed all of my free time, all of my close friends were from the club, etc. Today, I'm married, I've got a mortgage, etc... I don't have the time or drive to work on the club the way I used to. Sure I'm nostalgic for the old days of racing every weekend, huge meets every thursday, road-trips to Sac or where ever. But I wouldn't trade my life today to go back... it's up to the rest of you guys to breathe some new life into the club if that's what you want. I'm happy to help when it comes to the forums if that's useful. I'm just not going to be tagging cars with spotted cards, buying 6am donuts before the autocrosses, organizing group drives and mod days, etc. the way I used to... but I'd love it if that sort of stuff was done by other members. And there have been a few people that tried... Ms Heatha was putting together her "Cruise-Arus" for example... and there just weren't many people interested.