Old 2013-06-27, 08:45 AM   #31
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
I am not impressed....I was really hoping Mark could win a title before retirement, but it was just not meant to be. He will shine in the new Porsche's though. So long Mark Webber

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...3/6/14703.html
Yeah, I always thought Webber would grab a title when Red Bull got good. But really, it's his own fault... he had a great chance and threw it away spinning in Korea in 2010 (if I remember right) after Vettel had already retired. Winning that round would have pretty much made it nearly impossible for anyone but Alonso to take the lead back, and as we know Ferrari fell off at the end of that season eventually handing the title to Vettel. I think since then, Webber's always sort of blamed himself and had a small confidence problem which opened the door psychologically for Vettel to dominate the team (and F1 in general for that matter).

I think going back to sports cars, especially in the new Porsche LMP1 will be great for Webber. He'll probably win a ton of races assuming the Porsche doesn't suck (it won't, they spent so much time working up to this car with the P2 cars, I can't see how it'd suck). And his experience will be priceless for the team. Endurance sports car racing is awesome... it's cool to see some big name drivers heading that way.