Old 2011-06-27, 11:43 AM   #111
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv View Post
I posted over on the Renoscca forum about some of the reasoning for using raw time for scoring. This was a small event, only 40-something drivers for the challenge with many 1-driver classes. If it was a bigger event, and if there were monetary payouts, I think I might be more concerned about refining the scoring approach for the Challenge event itself. Maybe it will be bigger next year. For Reno drivers, it is best to keep in mind that our street tire factors & pax will still be used for our region's points scoring.

Cody: like you (and thanks for your extra efforts, both in doing the morning reg/waivers, plus working the extra run group) -- Rach & I and many others in both regions worked extra run groups both days. I know Dave & Carol appreciate our extra efforts tremendously.

Just a little comment about the 'inexperience/lack of training' situation -- I was frustrated by some of this as well, but am also trying to keep the perspective that this volunteer hasn't been out all season until now, and spent quite a bit of effort before the event started, after the end of each day, and didn't even drive.
Considering the software MikeK wrote can automatically calculate the results for Hawthorne, I'm surprised we didn't just use that, since it can take into account all the classes as long as we have a PAX for each... and even if it's a PAX of 1.0 for some of the odd-ball classes, it allows them to still contribute to the results at least as fairly as scoring the whole thing on raw times.

I guess it doesn't really make a difference to me, since I wasn't even there. And I'm certainly not bitter at all over losing the trophy, again because I'm not much into autocross these days. I think I'm just irked mostly because the difficulty of scoring a challenge is really non-existent due to Mike's hard work, which was based on the Dean's big effort when designing the original spreadsheet for scoring Hawethorne. To hear that we scored the event on raw times because doing it in a way that would encourage participation was "too complicated" is disappointing.

And it's not like there was any real discussion on how the event was going to be scored before hand. I read the threads on the RenoSCCA board... and at no point was the scoring method for the event made public. I just assumed they you guys would use the existing scoring method from Hawthorne and previous Winnemucca events... not just make something up at the event. Really, the decision should have been made and publicized before hand... if it had, I probably would have suggested using our existing software, but as a non-competitor I wouldn't have pushed for it. If raw times really were the way everyone wanted to do it, then that's an awesome "run what you brung" battle... I just don't get the feeling that's how it went down.