View Single Post
Old 2003-11-27, 08:00 PM   #5
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

The rust looks like mostly surface rust to me (judging solely from the pics); nothing some heavy-grit sandpaper and a hand-held grinder couldn't take care of. The battery area is a little more intense... hard to say from pictures how much it has rusted through. Even if there are some spots where it's rusted all the way through, it looks like it's mostly sheet-metal/floorpan, which at worst you could always have cut out and have some new sheet metal welded in. Mike has done some stuff like that in the shop... maybe 3-4 hours to cut & replace that uber-rusted corner of the trunk. My WAG would be $200-300 for some sheet metal restoration like that from a shop. That's probably a good area to knock some $$$ off the price with the guy, when there's quite a bit of visible, questionable rust. For an ordinary street car I'd say no way, you don't want to deal with hassles like that... but if it's a dedicated autocross car, who cares, really.

Otherwise the car looks fairly good for a 30 yr old mostly original car, minus the obvious stuff you pointed out like brakes & shocks. The only thing I might worry about is the price of replacement components since it's a Porsche, even for a 914. I haven't looked so I have no idea. I'd say the decision is mostly about whether you're ready for the jump to a whole new car type like that... if you've done enough research to really know what you're getting into.

Hey BTW if you read this before you take off back to Reno, your Maier Racing hat is still sitting here on top of my fridge waiting for you. :wink: