View Single Post
Old 2004-02-24, 09:55 AM   #1
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Let's talk about swaybars

This is an obvous attempt to suck our resident racer, Gary into a discussion on swaybars.

I have been researching these for my car and have some questions.

So far, here is what I think I know. As with brakes, I am probably wrong.

If you have the room, hollow gievs you more spring for less weight.

Having multiple arm lengths by way of moltiple holes for end links lets you change the relative stiffness by lenghtening and shortening the lever arm.

I am not sure what adjustable length end links do since they don't appear to change the lever arm length.

There are definitely a holy war on big springs vs. swaybars. I'm betting a well balanced system might be best, but th eopinions are all over the map.

If I understand the arguments. The swaybars are bad argument is that they lift the inside tire unncesarily reducing it's ability to assist in turning due to reduced contact patch/friction.

The swaybars are good camp says they reduce body roll without requiring increased spring rates thus improving tire contact all around.

I really like the whole Hotchkis front/rear/endlinks/upgraded brackets setup Gary is using. I was looking at the Cobb hollow ones until I saw it. I can't tell if all the peices Gary is using are really available to the public though according to thier web site.