Old 2010-07-12, 02:17 PM   #20
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
So let them total it out and just buy it back? Then you will get your money and the car.
A clean title on that car is worth more than the $1000 I'd probably get from having it totaled out.

With a clean title, I can probably sell the car for 6 or 7 grand as long as I was patient on waiting for an SVX enthusiast to buy it. With a salvage title, I'd be lucky to sell it for $2000. Plus, if it ever really got wrecked in the future, I'd get nothing for the car. I think I'd rather pay out of pocket to fix it now, than lose out on a couple of grand in the future if it actually got totaled.

Plus, the damage isn't really that bad. I took a better look at it today in the sunlight. It's more of a scuff than real paint/body damage. Mostly this thread is me bitching about people who don't respect other's property and take responsibility for their actions. The damage probably isn't enough to total the car, even with it's low book value.

I'm gonna take some pictures of the damage, then try to buff it out... As long as there's no damage to the wheel, the rest may be repairable enough with touch-up paint to get me by until I can't stand the sand damage on the front end and repaint the car again. The only shitty thing is that I really figured the next time I was going to drop money on body work/paint, I'd be fixing the 4 year old damaged fender/bumper on the WRX.