Old 2013-06-13, 08:50 PM   #33
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Did you confirm you have a 160 degree thermostat.

If not, get one! Water temp on the idiot gauge should be at the lower line with a 160.
It's impossible to tell what my thermostat is... normal running temp of my car is like 195.

I'm not so sure a lower temp thermostat really makes a difference. If my car is running above 195, the thermostat is 100% open regardless of what temp it's attempting to regulate to. The only benefit is that the stat opens a little earlier, so potentially that would delay overheating, but if the thermal capacity of the cooling system is below the amount of heat generated, the thermostat can't do anything in the long run.

Regardless, I did order a 160F stat, but simply because they're fail-open and (hopefully) better flowing than whatever's in my car currently. I'm not expecting a miracle though. If anything the higher pressure cap I've got makes a bigger difference because so far I'm not boiling over into the reservoir even at ~240F. Once the cap opens and the boiling point of the system drops to 212, my session is over.