Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Good soapbox rant Dean!

My point regarding the whole ABS thing wasn't to say that hitting the ABS is the end-all limit of braking. My point was that at some point, considering the tires were using, "better" brakes aren't going to actually help us to stop faster.

Once your brake setup feels good, doesn't fade, and allows you to brake at the limits of your tires, there isn't any reason to upgrade anymore!
OK, I have my instructor hat on now. How do you know you are at the limits of your tires?

In most cases, braking isn't about stopping. It is about slowing. How the brake slows the car under differnt circumstances including but not limited to speed, pedal pressure, temperature, pad depth, etc... Can you describe the ideal brake system? You only refer to feel, and fade as parameters. Can you be a little more specfic?
I'm not at the limits of my tires, which is why I don't need a huge brake kit yet. I just want a stiffer pedal, primarily to allow me to brake harder and still have proper pedal alignment for heel-toe.

Now, if I were able to lock all 4 tires at the same time (or the fronts just slightly before the rears) during straight line braking from high speed, then I'd say that I'm "at the braking limits of the tires". At that point, my bias is just right, so I am using all my available traction to slow the car. And if the pedal feel is such that I'm comfortable and modulation is predictable allowing me to brake just above the locking threshold, and if the brakes don't fade, then I'd say that my brakes couldn't be improved.