View Single Post
Old 2011-06-27, 11:25 AM   #110
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Wait... RAW times were used for the challenge? Seriously? No one even used some basic class separation? So if either region had one or two drivers in go-karts they would have won handily? Or if one region had 5 stock class national champs, but the other had 5 newbs in heavily modded SM cars, they'd essentially cancel out?

PAX has its problems and all, but scoring the challenge by raw times alone basically scream "if you have a slow car, we don't care how good of a driver you are, stay home".
I posted over on the Renoscca forum about some of the reasoning for using raw time for scoring. This was a small event, only 40-something drivers for the challenge with many 1-driver classes. If it was a bigger event, and if there were monetary payouts, I think I might be more concerned about refining the scoring approach for the Challenge event itself. Maybe it will be bigger next year. For Reno drivers, it is best to keep in mind that our street tire factors & pax will still be used for our region's points scoring.

Cody: like you (and thanks for your extra efforts, both in doing the morning reg/waivers, plus working the extra run group) -- Rach & I and many others in both regions worked extra run groups both days. I know Dave & Carol appreciate our extra efforts tremendously.

Just a little comment about the 'inexperience/lack of training' situation -- I was frustrated by some of this as well, but am also trying to keep the perspective that this volunteer hasn't been out all season until now, and spent quite a bit of effort before the event started, after the end of each day, and didn't even drive.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote