View Single Post
Old 2006-01-27, 10:18 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Okay, either they cancelled the meeting w/o telling anyone, or there's just 2 of us that care to bother showing up.

Back to the tire fiasco...

Virtually every class inherrits the Stock tire rules. This means the rules regarding minimum availibility apply to just about every class (except for the ST classes which have their own rules for sizes, etc). RE070's do not meet the availibility rules, so they are only allowed on the cars they come on as OE, which I believe is *only* the STI. So, outside of anything related to street touring, unless you've got an STI, you can't use the RE070's. Period.

Now, our regional street tire rules are *not* based on the street touring rules. Our T* class modifier simply says if the tire on your car has a 140 or greater treadwear, you qualify for the Street Tire modifier. We really should clarify this so there isn't confusion, as I don't believe it's the intent of the regional rules to allow *any* tire stamped 140+, but any already legal tire stamped 140+.

The way I'd re-write our street tire rules is as follows:

"Cars with SCCA Stock legal tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or greater will be eligible for the Street Tire modifier of .968. Street Tires specifically excluded in the Street Touring rules are also excluded from the regional street tire modifier."

That way those one-off R-compound Advan's that Yokohama intentionally mis-labeled as 140's aren't considered legal for regional street tire competition.

Last edited by sperry; 2006-01-27 at 10:25 AM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote