View Single Post
Old 2004-02-10, 07:55 PM   #55
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I'll read your post later, but here is my quick look at the options...

#1 WRX 4 pots.
#2 STI 4 pots
#3 Wilwood 6 pots
#4 Stoptech

Nothing else impresses me.

I am amazed nobody is making a Porsche Monoblock kit.

#1 Did you consider these? Will probably only add feel, but with the Stoptech rotors may be enough, and I thnk you can get them cheap JDM, or CDM used.

Used brakes are actually a great deal... I put S4 rears on my A4 for $250 includingg calipers, brakets and rotors with pads!

#2 I'd look for these used also. I'd like some better data on the rotor thickness. My guess is it is under an inch, and I don't know how good the vaneing is. These may be a good mid price option, but if they are thin, don't bet on super performance. By the way, more air flow in a rotor is more important than mass! Big open spaces between fairly thin directional vanes provide radiator like cooling.

#3 My best bang for the buck option. Huge pad and rotor selection, great calipers, and rotors. These are my stealth brakes I think if you want a look. And the rear kit would make it a killer setup.

#4 Only if you must have dust shields. Don't know about pad options though.

One thing I don't know about the WRX is if the master cylinder is up to all this. If it is the same as the one for the 4 pots, it should be OK I guess.