View Single Post
Old 2004-02-12, 01:30 PM   #69
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

If you upgrade your front pads without doing your rears, you are messing with your bias... Won't matter on the street, but will at the track/autoX.

I like the Porterfield R4s on my A4 better than the HPpluses... The EBC Greens are working well on the WRX, but they do appear to be wearing quickly They may be ideal for autocross. I have a set of reds that will go in next in the front. I love all the data and options I have for the Stealth Wilwoods. I have at least 8 compound choices from Wilwood that are fully documented etc., as well as many other companies making pads for them. The Js are expensive but incredible. The Es are pretty good...

Any pad that is working will make "dust"!!! If you are making them hot, it will be flaming hot dust. Get over it!!! A low dust pad probably has a lower cf and isn't stopping your car very well. The dust is actually metal, carbon, glue, resin, ceramic... hitting your wheels at up to 1000 degrees F at very high speed. The only way to minimize dust is to clean and wax your wheels regularly if you are really worried about it.

Pads that can handle high temps are harder, will wear out rotors faster, and may make noise! Just like you can't make a good autocross/track/snow/rain tire, you cannot make a no dust high friction long lasting non rotor wearing, quit brake pad.

Rotors wear out! Keep this in mind with any system you upgrade to.

Scott, my recommendation for now would be to get matching Axxis rears if you have a supply of fronts.

KC is running the Carbotech Panther+ Pads in front, but I don't know if they will hold up on the track.