Old 2010-06-09, 09:46 AM   #80
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
And not to single out the religious folks, but I'm curious as to why you believe the Bible is the word of god. What evidence do you have that it should be taken as god's literal word? Every answer I've ever received to that question has been a circular argument that boils down to "the Bible is the word of god because it says it is in the Bible, which is the word of god, so it has to be true". What convinces you to take the Bible literally when logically it's so much more likely that it's a man made document that attempts to explain the nature of god/morality/etc?
I think that will depend on the individual. I'm not accusing anyone here of this, but I've seen that for many it's easier than actually thinking for themselves.

I was raised Christian but always had trouble "buying in" to it. Something always seemed a little off. It wasn't until I was living on my own that I finally reached the conclusion that I was agnostic, and the decision to cast off the religious inclinations that had been presented to me as fact since birth was a very challenging one to make. Many people make the mistake of viewing agnosticism as being "indecisive" or "taking the easy way out," when it frequently is exactly the opposite. In my case, I spent about three years "soul searching" and studying before becoming comfortable saying, "based on what I know of religion and man, I believe religion is man-made and false."

So for me, remaining christian would have been the "easy way," as I continued to take it for granted.