Old 2013-04-14, 09:51 PM   #45
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Rs View Post
Had fun yesterday. Learned a few things too, "shuffle the wheel" and "Look where you want to go, not in front of your hood" were the two things I heard constantly haha, so hard to break the habits. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be taking my rex out to any other motorsport events any time soon. I learned that my setup SUCKS. My tires are horrible, stock suspension is a no no, and I care too much for my daily car to throw it around a course/track how I want to do it to be competitive with my time. Maybe I'll turn my integra into a track oriented car...hmmm.
To be honest, a soft car on crappy tires is sorta the "ideal" setup if you want to learn to drive fast. Granted, stock subarus tend to be so pushy they're not that much fun to autocross... but it isn't a terrible platform to learn with.

I'd suggest sticking with it a little bit. The first 5-10 events, you'll find yourself figuring things out and reducing lap times by multiple seconds each run. Once you get used to the car and find that you're not improving tons every lap, then it's time to consider mods or switching to something else.

On the other hand, Integras are fun cars too. You can't really go wrong with that either. But again, stick with it for a bit before trying to build your car. Many of us went down that road and a) ended up taking longer to improve as drivers because we were trying to use mods to fix what was really driver error/inexperience, and b) spending lots of extra money because once we got better we figured out the mods we thought would help, didn't.