View Single Post
Old 2010-06-08, 04:50 PM   #65
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I construed it as such or I would not have said something.

When you quoted Joel, using "you" implies him personally and he has not "expected" you to do anything as far as I know, just shared his beliefs as you are. Your comments would not have had less value had they said 'anybody' in place of "you or anybody else" where appropriate IMHO.

I am just suggesting we stick to "anybody", "people" and such. Yes, Joel used "you", but in terms of asking an individual a question.

As we are on one of the topics you don't discuss at a dinner party, just suggesting we all to be mindful of our word choice.
If people (and by people I mean me, you, Joel, and everyone else posting in this thread) are going to discuss religion/God/faith/beliefs, then a certain measure of "polite" line-toeing has already become moot. I maintain that nobody here has gone on to get into offensive territory, i.e. flaming, name-calling, etc. I just don't see the point in discussing religion in a purely abstract fashion. If I'm going to debate Joel or anybody else, it's coming down to what he believes or what I believe, and that's personal by nature. "Personal" shouldn't have to mean offensive though.