View Single Post
Old 2014-12-29, 09:08 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Hi Jon, welcome to the forums!

I'm not familiar with any Reno shops that do Subaru lift kits specifically. At the recommendation of Ray Cunningham, I did bring my Miata by an off-road shop in Sparks last summer for some last-minute welding. I wish I could remember the name of the shop, but I've only been there the one time. Maybe Cory (MPREZIV) knows the place I'm talking about. However, the guys there build all sorts of sand rails and pre-runner/baja type trucks. I would bet they can do anything you'd like... if I can just remember the name of the place.

An alternative is just to use one of the existing recipes for a lifted outback. I believe King makes lift springs for the outback. Then you'd just need to source some appropriate struts. I bet Primitive can set you up with springs, struts, and spacers: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/susp.htm Though 2" is probably a little higher than most folks go on an Outback.

As far as tires, most folks on this forum are looking to go lower profile and wider, while keeping the OEM final diameter. Going larger, even with a lift kit is troublesome and I don't know that there's lots of experience with it here. I know I've got just mildly oversized on my '09 Outback, and it's super easy to rub all sorts of things... fenders, bumpers, inside fender-well, struts. Lifted springs/struts alone probably won't get you much larger tires, unless you're okay with skinny tires, a weird alignment, and hacking off part of the front bumpers... which you may actually be totally okay with if you're building a dirt beast.

You might want to check out subaruoutback.org if you haven't already. I know there's a following over there for lifted Outbacks.