View Single Post
Old 2013-03-16, 08:31 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

The problem with the ABS in the WRX, IMO, is mostly that once it triggers, just backing off the pedal pressure doesn't stop the abs intervention. You basically have to completely take your foot off the brake for it to stop pulsing. Other than that, apparently the ABS is a little aggressive on dirt/ice, but I've only noticed it a few times on ice and I'm not sure it's really much worse than other systems. Frankly, removing the ABS on any street car is a recipe for insurance issues. If you were to rear end someone after intentionally disabling the ABS, you may very well end up getting denied coverage.

I left the shitty ABS alone in my WRX. I just learned to brake above the ABS threshold. While its not street driven, I decided the ABS is extremely useful on the track for preventing flat spots if/when I blow a braking marker and have to just brake like crazy to stay on track. At the track, you certainly can't use the ABS as an advantage due to the inability to untrigger the ABS by modulating the pedal. But the tiny bit of potential performance gain in lap times isn't worth ruining a $1,200 set of tires in an instant because you went in too deep. So I just learned to live with it.