Old 2006-01-06, 11:22 AM   #11
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19
You'd need some sort of mold to use glass. Maybe a big funnel with the small side cut off would work. I've been reading a lot on fiberglass lately (for stereo stuff), but I haven't attempted it yet. Doesn't seem that hard though.
The mold would certainly be the hard part. The big problem is that the sides are asymetrical due to intercooler piping differences. So I want to make a symetrical cover, with an integral duct, that will work on both sides. Probably not a great 1st project for learning fiberglass.

I'm attaching an image of the basic area where there's room for the duct inlet. Behind the inlet I'd have to be a bit creative in order to route the ducting, especially on the driver's side. It's not much space... it'll probably be just about as effective as having the duct hose sticking out of the fog area, and not actually "scoop" a larger cross-section of air the way a real inlet does.

I'm wondering if using a NACA duct under the car would be as effective.

Since my fender liners need to be replaced, I think I might be able to add one of these under the bumper infront of the front tire. The question is whether or not it will get any air in there. IIRC the naca duct requires near-laminar flow over it to be effective, and something tells me under the car the flow is anything but laminar. So aero people (JC, Austin) give me some opinions!

Edit: What about putting a naca duct on the side of the bumper in front of the wheels? My bumper is already hacked to bits to get the FMIC to fit... what's another two duct holes?
Attached Images