Old 2007-11-20, 12:29 PM   #85
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The point is that for the average person a car is a tool to "get the job done." It's not a sound purchase for them. But for someone who is an enthusiast it can be more. Performance figures alone don't make a supercar. It's the emotion that it evokes when you drive it or even see it. You aren't paying for the performance, you are paying for the experience.
I think we're on the same page here.

My point is simply, don't claim a supercar is "better" in some tangible way than any other car. Recognize that you're paying an assload more money for aesthetics and for "the experience". I'm not denying that those are valid reasons for some people (aka "enthusiasts").

What I am saying is that enthusiasts look silly trying to talk up a supercar based on fit and finish and performance since you can get everything a supercar can do for far cheaper if you don't have some need to be a baller or an emotional attachment to owning beautiful cars. From a purely utilitarian stand point, a supercar is never the "right tool for the job", unless the job is "look pretty, go fast, and cost a shit-ton of money".