Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-04-25, 09:07 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default You know what pisses me off? Getting robbed.

Some cocksucker apparently broke into my truck sometime earlier this week between me getting home from the Bay Area and Lisa borrowing it today while her car was in the shop.

I was trying to figure out why my garage door kept opening itself two nights this week (one night I heard it and ran out front and turned on all my lights, the other night we just found the door open one morning). I thought it was just a sticky button (used to happen when the temp swings were large at my old house... button cover would contract in the cold and activate the switch under it), so I didn't think too much of it.

But tonight I hopped in the truck to take Lisa over to pick up her car, and went to close the door, and the damn opener remote was gone. So I asked Lisa where she put it. She thought I was joking. Then I noticed my iPod cable for the stereo was all pulled out of the center console... and I realized what had happened. Some dickbag fucking broke into my truck while it was in my driveway and made off with a garage door remote, my iPod photo, my portable navigation unit (fucking $500 right there... ), and has been opening my garage at night.

I can't find anything else missing in the truck or the garage (I don't keep much in the truck, in fact that nav was Lisa's and I just happened to have it in there 'cause I took it to the Bay over the weekend, same with the iPod as it's usually in my car), but my garage is such a disorganized mess since we moved in, that even if they took stuff I can't tell yet. I went and cleared the memory on the door openers and reprogrammed them to the remaining remotes, so they're not getting back in... but I kinda wish I hadn't... I kinda wish I could sit in the dark and wait for them to come back again to fuck w/ my house so I could put the front end of my truck through the side of whatever car cocksores like that drive when they drive by to open my garage.

So, now I'm going to be that dickhole neighbor that's got fucking stadium lighting on motion detectors in the front yard with a Glock under his pillow. I just love my new neighborhood.

Last edited by sperry; 2008-04-25 at 09:10 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:15 PM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

That sucks man. The garage on our new house has been opening at random times when we are not home and that has been my biggest fear. I would wait in a car down the street with a bat and probably some flash bangs. Then when said cocksucker pulls up and sets off your garage door, its go time.
Old 2008-04-25, 10:38 PM   #3
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Assholes. I'm still pissed our video camera got stolen, and that was like 4 years ago. It's probably someone local to you, if it's relatively petty like that (not that that doesn't still suck) and they've come by to do it multiple times. The local methhead teen or something...
Old 2008-04-25, 10:44 PM   #4
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

That fucking sucks man
Old 2008-04-26, 12:30 AM   #5
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Oooooh, not cool.
Old 2008-04-26, 08:50 AM   #6
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Yeah I've had 2 cars broken into, it's such a shitty feeling. Thieves really are the scum of the earth.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:02 AM   #7
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Dang that blows. Somebody broke in to my L back in the day. Makes you feel so violated.
Old 2008-04-26, 11:23 AM   #8
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

You know what pisses me off? When bad thieves try to get into your car, but can't and just end up breaking the door handle or cutting the $3,000 convertible top to pieces. Or when they get into your car and just take your ashtray that was filled with change, and then the dealership wants $70 dollars to replace it.
Bob Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:59 PM   #9
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Goddamn, Scott, I'm sorry. That's bullshit.
Old 2008-04-27, 09:49 AM   #10
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

That's such horseshit man. I'd truly want to just sit in a lawn chair, in my garage, with a shotgun, all night. waiting.
Old 2008-04-27, 09:59 AM   #11
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Ugh, that's pretty fucking lame righ there.

I've come home from work a couple times to an open garage and I never know if I just forgot to close it or if it opened during the day for some unknown reason. It's probably the former. It freaks me out but so far, I've been lucky and nothing has gone missing. It's actually been a few months since it happened and I'm pretty cautions now.
Old 2008-04-27, 04:06 PM   #12
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

I think break ins are getting more common. Two friends had there cars broken into friday night.
Old 2008-04-28, 08:23 AM   #13
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

"We're going to need guns.....lots of guns."
Old 2008-04-28, 08:36 AM   #14
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Park one of these bad boys in the garage.

Old 2008-04-28, 12:18 PM   #15
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Get that asshole robot from Robocop 2 to chill in your yard.
Old 2008-04-28, 05:18 PM   #16
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Last fall we forgot & left the garage door open overnight, and in the morning I found the RX-8's car door slightly open, as well as the Legacy's car door not quite closed fully. Turned out that someone came into the garage & stole a palm pc, my V1 and an XM radio from the RX8, as well as some new clothes from Macy's that I was returning (and the receipt was in the bag - what a fool I was).

I had serial numbers for the electronics so I filed a police report. In the process of hunting around for where I might look to find my items (like on craigslist or a pawn shop) I came across a craigslist posting from someone else who also had their V1 stolen. I posted a 'looking for' ad there too, and was contacted by another woman who had her laptop stolen out of her car - similar to me, she forgot & left her car door unlocked, and came out in the morning to find it sitting open. In her process of looking she spotted a plastic garbage bag at a development site near her home, with a cord sticking out of it, and found some other person's tape player & headphones, and a partially empty wallet in it. In her report to the police, she learned that there was a burglary ring in operation, where someone(s) would go through a neighborhood trying car doors, when they found one open they'd grab whatever looked valuable, probably threw it into a plastic garbage bag, and then leave without closing the door.

The police ended up finding and returning one of my items which turned up at a pawn shop; and the detective told me they busted the person who had pawned it.

Scott, if you have serial numbers for anything, even if you don't think it can be recovered you might file a police report anyway - if for nothing else, then to keep these burglars from pawning your stuff and getting away with it.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 10:34 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Unfortunately Debbie, the iPod was like 5 years old and the navi was Lisa's, so I doubt I'll be finding any paperwork for 'em.

I'm thinking though that this was an amature job by some scared ass kids, 'cause they didn't take their time to look through the crap in the back of the truck, or get the V1 that was right above the mirror. The just hopped in and grabbed what they could out of the center console. Then left leaving the door mostly shut (Lisa told me in retrospect that she remembered the door being shut, but not totally closed... and she didn't think anything of it. )
Old 2008-04-29, 09:20 AM   #18
Kunikos
EJ22

Car: Three-Dead-Hooker-Trunk Devilmobile

Xfire: Kunikos

Consider getting a taser. You can totally get away with tasering someone robbing your car or such, and since it incapacitates the victim you have time to photograph them and call the police. (Perhaps kick them in the head a few times for fun as well)

A baseball bat you can be arrested for aggravated assault or something, and well, anything worse than that you wouldn't beat a murder charge with a self-defense plea.
Kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 05:18 PM   #19
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

Shoot em in in the back of the kneecap. Then its only assault w/ a deadly weapon not attempted murder.
Old 2008-04-29, 05:27 PM   #20
moose
EJ22

Car: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: getting beat in DSP

Pain doesn't affect me, I affect pain.

I thought in the state of Nevada, you can kill somebody if they were on you property against your wishes.
Old 2008-04-29, 11:14 PM   #21
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Just kick them in the face. That seems to be the trend these days and its guilt free.
Old 2008-04-30, 02:10 PM   #22
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
I thought in the state of Nevada, you can kill somebody if they were on you property against your wishes.
That is in Texas, not so sure about that one in Nevada.

Scott, sorry to hear about the thefts. I hope you get some sort of closure out of the whole process.
Old 2008-04-30, 02:32 PM   #23
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaSTi View Post
That is in Texas, not so sure about that one in Nevada.

Scott, sorry to hear about the thefts. I hope you get some sort of closure out of the whole process.
I bought a used iPod Touch off someone at work to replace my Photo. And I got pissed off to find out the Navi model I had hasn't dropped in price at all since I bought it.

Is that "closure"?
Old 2008-06-10, 12:05 PM   #24
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Whee... salt in the wound for me.

I was looking for my CD portfolio yesterday. Then realized it used to be in my truck. That's about 200 CD's gone. So much for ever re-encoding them all in a lossless format.

What's NV's definition of "grand theft"? Now that I'm out a $500 iPod, a $400 Garmin, and 200 x $20 = $4000 in CD's, I'm around $5000 in losses. I wonder if I should report it to my insurance or anything.
Old 2008-06-10, 12:54 PM   #25
Kunikos
EJ22

Car: Three-Dead-Hooker-Trunk Devilmobile

Xfire: Kunikos

I thought grand theft was a grand, ie $1000 in pretty much any state.

You may be able to get some money back from your insurance company but then your premium will likely go up, right? And if you tell the police department, I'm not sure what they will do.
Kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote