Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2004-12-18, 09:34 AM   #1
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?
Default Car was broken into, I need a gun!!!!!!!!!!

My car was raped last night, they stole most of my stereo stuff, my CDs, and my tool bag. There's a nice dent on the A-pillar where they jammed a screwdriver behind the glass to get in, and the dash is tore apart, most of the clips and trim pieces are broken.

Missing items include an Eclipse CD3413 head unit, an Eclipse 10" sub and my custom box that I just finished building last week, a set of CDT CL-61 components that I had just bought that were still in the box in my trunk, my small CD case with about 30 CDs, and a small bag of tools. I can't remember being this mad in my entire life. Hopefully insurance will cover some or all of the stolen stuff, and at the very least the damage to my car. Art, if you read this could you let me know if stolen property is usually covered? I have full coverage with AAA.

I've already filed a police report and the AAA adjuster should call me on Monday to finish up my claim, so I have nothing left to do but sit here at work and vent to you guys. If any of you guys have anything remotely valuable in your cars, please get an alarm if you haven't already. They got into my car very easily without breaking any glass, so apparently they knew what they were doing. If I would have had an alarm at least they wouldn't have had time to leisurely go through my car nicely and take whatever they wanted. The police officer said there were 3 or 4 break ins around my area last night, so if any of you live around the Mccarran and Mira Loma/Rio Poco area, keep an eye out.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 10:17 AM   #2
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

so thats 3 people now that have been hit this year :shock:

[rant]
my wife just tends to think its our holiday contribution to the lower class that cant afford christmas I would have bought them a gift instead of stealing my ****!!

I dont get it, even thieves should know what cars not to mess with. If your going to steal it Take the Hole Car!!!!! Leaving her in peice's breaks my heart Otherwise just Move Along!!!!
[/rant]
Old 2004-12-18, 10:21 AM   #3
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Yeah, Merry F***ing X-mas to whoever did it.
Old 2004-12-18, 10:23 AM   #4
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

next time I get offered crap out the back of a van I might just beat the dude and call it a day
Old 2004-12-18, 11:17 AM   #5
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Wow that sucks, what the hell is happening around here?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 12:09 PM   #6
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Wow that sucks, what the hell is happening around here?
Reno is turning into a suburb of California, that's what's happening.
Old 2004-12-18, 12:40 PM   #7
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Khail, that Sucks!!!! I hope insurance takes care of you.
Did the police even take fingerprints or do any investigating? Not that I have much faith it would do much of anything.
I swear, I wish we could equip our cars with stun gun technology - anybody tries to break in, they get 10000 volts. Or ink squirted all over their face so that they're a marked man.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 01:01 PM   #8
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Khail, that Sucks!!!! I hope insurance takes care of you.
Did the police even take fingerprints or do any investigating? Not that I have much faith it would do much of anything.
I swear, I wish we could equip our cars with stun gun technology - anybody tries to break in, they get 10000 volts. Or ink squirted all over their face so that they're a marked man.
No, the lady cop just came and took my statement, and briefly looked at the dent outside. Didn't take photos, fingerprints, or even look inside the car. I asked about fingerprints and she said it never really helps unless there's a possible suspect. The odds are just to great of finding them at random, I guess. I would think someone that steals car stereos might have been doing it for a while, and might have been caught before, and might have their prints on file, but apparently that's crazy talk. Basically the only reason to call the police is to get a case number to give to the insurance company.
Old 2004-12-18, 03:34 PM   #9
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19
No, the lady cop just came and took my statement, and briefly looked at the dent outside. Didn't take photos, fingerprints, or even look inside the car. I asked about fingerprints and she said it never really helps unless there's a possible suspect. The odds are just to great of finding them at random, I guess. I would think someone that steals car stereos might have been doing it for a while, and might have been caught before, and might have their prints on file, but apparently that's crazy talk. Basically the only reason to call the police is to get a case number to give to the insurance company.
Sounds like the cops aren't interested in trying to bust anyone --- the economic cost of running the prints must in their estimation exceed the value of damage and stolen items. I wonder what the response of a supervisor (sgt?) would be to that question? The more they ignore it and insurance makes it all better, the more it will continue to happen.

That SUCKS man. So far the only thing that has happened to me this year was somebody tin-snipping the whole corner of my plate with the new DMV sticker on it. Now I slice them all up.

/cool vehicle break-in story
Although, a couple years ago, I owned a 1974 GMC conversion van. It was my little office while I was going to school taking day classes. One time I came back to our apartment complex in the Subaru and noticed that the van's wing window was busted out. Fearing that my Cannondale mountain bike had been taken, I rushed over, only to find that nothing had been stolen. Figuring that maybe the glass breaking during the late afternoon had scared off the punk(s), I decided that I would stake out the van in hopes that they would return for the bike. I grabbed a 12ga, my .45, my large Maglight, put on my Second Chance IIa vest, and discreetly went down to the van just as it was getting dark. I got comfortable, chambered everything, and prepared to give some punks (likely illegals in my neighborhood) a good pants-wetting experience if nothing else. Unfortunately, they must have noticed my activity earlier, and thought it was too risky to come back for the goods.

Seriously, if I ever catch someone in the act of burglery, they are going to need every ounce of coolness to give me exactly no excuse to shoot them, because I am just not interested in facing some illegal thief in court only to watch them roll the system. I'd rather rest on Nevada's self-defense and trespassing laws, which are incidentally still much more victim-friendly than California's. No consequences, no incentive for good behavior.
Old 2004-12-18, 05:58 PM   #10
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

During my freshmen year in college I was parked on the dirt lot heading down the little side street from the Judicial College, and I got totally nailed. I had a 1985 Plymonth Horizon Hatchback at the time.

Contents Stolen:

1 week old Leather Parka, nice
15" Rockford Fosgate sealed Box that I just built like you did with yours
Alpine 7807 Headunit
MB Quart 5.25
chemistry and speech class books
Kicker ZR1000 amp I was borrowing from a friend, values at around 800 at the time
About 20 CDs

I lost a couple grand worth of stuff insurance did nothing, and my homeowners insurance did nothing.

And I know what you mean about a "Raped" car, not to make light of an actual act of Rape but it really does feel as though you have been violated.

theives are some of the worst bastards on the planet.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 09:10 AM   #11
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?
Default Mini Update

Well, the AAA adjuster I spoke with said the stereo stuff would be covered, at least to some extent. I'm not sure if they'll just give me a check or if they will the the body shop purchase everything and install it. Hopefully the former, cause I don't trust body shop guys doing custom stereo stuff, and also so I can buy whatever I want. The damage to the car is also being covered, the estimate for that came to $1250, not including the stereo equipment. So it looks like I'm just out the CDs and tools.
Old 2004-12-26, 08:50 PM   #12
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

I imagine the CD's and tools would add up to quite a bit -
But, glad to hear your insurance is covering the rest.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-27, 09:50 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
I imagine the CD's and tools would add up to quite a bit -
But, glad to hear your insurance is covering the rest.
My friend left his CD collection in his MIT frat house over summer break one year while he was back here on the west coast. Someone stole all his CDs. His insurance gave him like $15 per CD w/o reciepts! He bascailly told them how many he had and they paid him. Then he went and purchased only the CDs he actually still listened too.

'Course that was renter's insurance, not auto insurance... bt you might give it a shot claiming all the missing CDs.
Old 2004-12-28, 09:35 AM   #14
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

The same thing happened to one of my friends living in the student apartments across the street from UNR. Her renters insurance covered all the CDs and her new laptop and digital camera without even asking for receipts. I finally got a hold of my condo association yesterday, they said only fire and natural disaster type stuff is covered by the homeowners insurance I pay to them. So I'm not even covered if my house is robbed! What a rip off. On the bright side AAA seems like they will help me out and just send me a check for the stereo stuff (my fingers are still crossed), so I can replace the stuff with what I want. It works better for them that way also, since they don't have to pay the body shop for all the labor to install that stuff.
Old 2004-12-28, 09:43 AM   #15
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

AAA paid my car stereo, interior damage, and window, but not the CDs or laptop.
Old 2004-12-28, 09:54 AM   #16
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
AAA paid my car stereo, interior damage, and window, but not the CDs or laptop.
Was it an aftermarket stereo, or stock? At least AAA is consistent.
Old 2004-12-28, 01:25 PM   #17
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

stock? Stock? STOCK? Hell no.
Old 2004-12-28, 02:02 PM   #18
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
stock? Stock? STOCK? Hell no.
I know what you mean, I've been stuck with a stock tape deck and cheap speakers from the junkyard until AAA gets me a check.
Old 2004-12-29, 09:24 PM   #19
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Well I guess I got moved to OT. So AAA has decided to pay for the car damage, inside and out, and send me a $500 check for the stereo equipment. Not as much as I was hoping for, but I'm not complaining since I didn't have receipts for anything. The adjuster said $500 is the limit for what they could pay out, no matter how much was stolen. So between that and some X-mas money I can build a decent system back up. And get an alarm before installing anything!