Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2007-10-14, 09:44 AM   #1
GC8.Love
EJ22

Car: '01 STM Impreza 2.5 RS ; '96 "Junior Mints" colored Impreza Brighton - "Bowl of Wet Spaghetti"
Class: We got classes?
Default Rant: Anyone Here A Wholesaler?

Okay, so..

There's this white L sedan at Reno Auto Center.

Has/is;

- 200k+ miles

- 5 MT in who knows what condition

- someone drilled out the trunk lock and yanked it partially out of the trunk

- battery held in by two rocks

- beat, crap tires, and a completely bald spare

-look like a tweaker's former car

So.. I dragged myself out to go look at this thing yesterday. Perfect for my applications even with all of the above (effen tweakers).

Dealer walks on over and rambles a little..

Me: "Hi, how're you today? (etc, leading up to..) Do you think You could find a key for that car, please?

The dealer, incredulous (falsely, I'm sure); "Why?! That car's not even for sale. It's not even cleaned out"

Me: "I suppose you ought to take it off of Auto Trader, then."

Dealer: "It has 200K+ on it."

Me: "Yes, I'm aware. It *is* kinda beat. Do you think find a key so we can see if it runs?"

Dealer: "Yeah, I'll see if I can. But we may not be able to sell it other than a wholesaler. This car hasn't even been through safety or been conditioned. -walks away-"

Me, thinking: "Yeah, funny.. considering you alredy have all the paperwork up there in the window and dash.."

He comes back. Says they'd be able to sell it. Turns it over. Sounds okay - and I'm not really concerned about it, I just wanted it turned over.

I make them an offer for it as is, since he won't clue me in to what they *will* sell for (setting me up for a "no", I'm sure), but they insist it's gotta be more because it has to be run though their reconditioning, etc..

BS. That car isn't worth *anything* over $1,500 - if even that. And WTF happened to selling "As Is?"

It came in as a trade in, and I'm betting that they gave the guy $600 or less (likely) for it.

Being sick is making me a cranky child about this.

All I want is a stupid, cheap white L. I'll even settle for an auto at this point.

Last edited by GC8.Love; 2007-10-14 at 09:52 AM.
GC8.Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 10:01 AM   #2
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

They CAN sell it to you as-is. They're just being up-tight about it. WE know that you just want to take it, and make it another member of your "Center for Unloved Cars" orphanage, but they see you as a potential headache, coming back and complaining about all the F*ed up stuff on the car they just sold you.

If you just offer to sign off whatever they want you to regarding any kind of warranty, and pay them cash wholesale, they may go for it. Often dealers would just rather sell wholesale cars to their wholesaler, than to ever even let the public see them, let alone buy.
Old 2007-10-14, 10:13 AM   #3
GC8.Love
EJ22

Car: '01 STM Impreza 2.5 RS ; '96 "Junior Mints" colored Impreza Brighton - "Bowl of Wet Spaghetti"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post
They CAN sell it to you as-is. They're just being up-tight about it. WE know that you just want to take it, and make it another member of your "Center for Unloved Cars" orphanage, but they see you as a potential headache, coming back and complaining about all the F*ed up stuff on the car they just sold you.

If you just offer to sign off whatever they want you to regarding any kind of warranty, and pay them cash wholesale, they may go for it. Often dealers would just rather sell wholesale cars to their wholesaler, than to ever even let the public see them, let alone buy.

Thanks, Cory.

I was thinking this also.

What I didn't add was before the guy went to go talk about it, I said "I'm willing to bypass any reconditioning, etc, at my risk."

I think they're being hardheaded, as I said I wasn't immensely concerned about the crap going on with it (so I must be okay with paying more, riiight?). Seems to be that way with the non-franchise dealers most of the time.

I might lean on them a little this week and bug the shit out of them about it.

Heh, Edmunds retail is $1,117.

Last edited by GC8.Love; 2007-10-14 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2007-10-14, 01:27 PM   #4
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

Can I hire you to find me a L when I come back to the states? You always seem to find perfect project car candidates.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 03:42 PM   #5
GC8.Love
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libila View Post
Can I hire you to find me a L when I come back to the states? You always seem to find perfect project car candidates.
Whaat? Hire me?

I'll find you one for free.

=.P

Actually, if anyone's looking for a wagon, I've got a '95 S.E. OBS, crank windows, 1.8 L of speediness, etc.. (how is that Special Edition?!).

Not currently running, but I'm supposed to solve that next weekend.
Old 2007-10-14, 03:44 PM   #6
GC8.Love
EJ22

Or not..

Will update how this turns out!

Last edited by GC8.Love; 2007-10-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2007-10-21, 01:33 AM   #7
GC8.Love
EJ22

GOOOAAAAA-.. I mean.. this can be made into stardust now. =.D

Got a project outta a private sale.

Thanks for the support!!
Old 2007-10-21, 03:39 AM   #8
Libila
EJ205

Nice!

What's the plan?
Old 2007-10-21, 10:50 AM   #9
GC8.Love
EJ22

Thanks!

Um.. well, it's kinda a secret. But I guess local can hear about it, since it'll be driving around.

1.8 L of speediness, and a bunch of V2+ fittings for the outside now - I have to replace the fenders and the bumper skin anyway, and I've had the parts around for ages. But it's a bastardized V2+, since it's a coupe.

Even though it turns out I'm paying off the RS late this month, the Brighton is going to be the "play" car. It'll need a bunch before I really want to throw it around, but this way, I don't have to beat on the RS.

Enginewise - the 1.8 has to go sometime. I don't know what the replacement plans are yet. I was considering staying N/A with an EJ25 block and 2.2 heads, but I dunno. I have an N/A already, so..

The plus sides to this one, compared to the white sedan in S. Reno;

1. 30K+ less miles than it, and 2 years newer
2. Interior's in pretty good shape, so I'm not worried about pulling it out - I have the RS seats to throw right in there, too
3. battery's not held in by a pair of rocks ( )
4. trunk lock's fine
5. Definitely wasn't a tweaker's car
6. Most likely more mechanical sound than the other one - I never drove the sedan, and they wanted way too much for it
7. Sound body - again, I never got to drive/thoroghly inspect the sedan, so I don't know if there was underlying damage
8. No power anything except for steering.

The downsides;

1. No tach
2. the car's Forest Green (I thiink), the replacement parts I have are white

Halfway;

1. I never have to take my foot off the gas unless I'm trying to come to a complete stop

Last edited by GC8.Love; 2007-10-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 2007-10-21, 01:16 PM   #10
Libila
EJ205

What's a project car if it's not at least two different colors?

Sounds fun!
Old 2007-10-21, 01:34 PM   #11
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libila View Post
What's a project car if it's not at least two different colors?

Sounds fun!
Mines 3! Gray, Black, and Rust.
Old 2007-10-21, 04:43 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Danger View Post
Mines 3! Gray, Black, and Rust.
Mine's four: blue, oil, brake dust, and fence post.
Old 2007-10-21, 04:51 PM   #13
GC8.Love
EJ22

Yep, I guess most of us drive real cars, don't we?

Well, it's officially green and white now.

I spent most of the day with Lonnie getting the fenders and V2 bumper on. Had to straighten the piece where the headlight mounts up in the middle on one side, and Lonnie spent a good deal of the time being pissed about one of the fenders needing pulled out a bit.. Not sure why, I wasn't getting bent out of shape (no pun intended), and it's *my* fender. I felt we spent entirely too much time pouring over that.

Me: "It won't be on the road until it's re-registered anyway (later this week)... We can fix it next Saturday."

I did appreciate the help, however.

Got the rear RS seat in, but I have to pick up the fronts from storage sometime this week.
Old 2007-10-22, 07:27 AM   #14
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Mine's four: blue, oil, brake dust, and fence post.
Old 2007-11-07, 09:17 PM   #15
GC8.Love
EJ22

Okay, so this is what stands out in the dark (case the other 2/3 blends in )

Crappy, rainy, dark pic..

Yeah, that fender's not lining up right now. If anyone sees this thing driving around, please feel free to try and pull it out.

And in no way are the fog covers false advertising.. as STi's a tuning division anyway. Nyah.