Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2005-12-28, 10:24 PM   #26
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Notebooks I've used for work and play:

(2) P2-class Toshibas
(1) P4-class Toshiba
(2) P4-class Sagers
(1) P3-class Gateway
(2) P3-class IBMs

I've had to replace HDD's, CPUs, and keyboards, performing all my own work on several of these.

I've dealt with several others trying to help other people.

Brand-new, I'd look really hard at the Sagers from powernotebooks.com.
Otherwise, I'd look at Sony, Dell, or Toshiba (I wouldn't touch HP/Compaq with a 10-ft pole).
IMO unless you need video card and memory speed for games a used IBM P3 cannot be beat.

The problem is --- all entry level machines these days suffer from the use of low-quality components, giving a much higher HD failure rate, for example. Service is really the biggest factor, as all the parts come from the same places anyhow.

In my case, I don't need a gaming laptop, or even a desktop replacement, as a laptop that would do what I need isn't made yet. I needed a internet/travel/web design machine, and a $300 eBay IBM R31 was the best choice. So good, in fact, that I bought a second for my college-bound sis after a week of playing with it. It has a 1.13ghz P3 mobile CPU, 14" screen, DVD drive, and capabilty to expand to 1gig SDRAM. Plus all the perks of an IBM, along with super-easy driver and software updating after I did clean wipe and threw XP Pro on there. I can buy a dual-layer DVD writer for this computer, get a bigger HDD when needed, and extra batteries. It'll barely play Tombraider 5, but that's not why I got it.
Old 2005-12-28, 11:14 PM   #27
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

I have an older Compaq Armada (it's a P3 600MHz, so it's finally starting to wear out), and I've been fairly pleased with it. As much as I hate their desktops, I'd probably buy another of their notebooks if the need arose.

That having been said, I'm not big on notebooks as desktop replacements. You always run into random hardware deficiencies or design flaws, and it's much harder to get the hardware you want. Plus, if the screen or other devices crap out, it's a pain in the ass to make sure that your HDD data is retained when the unit is sent in for service. Unless you really need the portability, I think you'd do well to just build your own micro PC for about $500-$600. Micro ATX cases and mobos are relatively prevalent these days.

Old 2005-12-29, 12:02 AM   #28
doubleurx
EJ205

I have an HP zd7000 - 1 year no issues and werks grate xcept for da spell xexk
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote