Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2007-02-25, 04:04 PM   #1
eggeegg
EJ22

Car: 2006 Subaru WRX Sedan

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Thumbs up Finished installing STI pink springs

I finally finished installing STI pink springs (cherry red or whatever) on my 06 WRX. This was my first time and it took way longer than I expected. 4 hours yesterday for the rear and 3 hours today for the front. I thought this was going to be easier than installing a TBE. I did it by myself but it would have been much easier with a helper. My hands are kinda sore from grabbing and tightening things but i'm glad i finished.

I ended up buying all the tools i needed, but i'm sure it still cost less than paying for the springs at the dealership and having it professionally done. Plus I like learning things doing installation on my own and if something goes wrong later, I can happily blame myself. I bought an electric impact wrench, which i ended up using only to compress/decompress the spring compressors which I also bought from Sears. What made me most angry about this experience was having to buy a pass through set from Sears to get the stupid 17mm nut out from the top of the strut, while holding the bold steady with a 6mm allen key. I couldn't find any place that sold individual passthrough wrenches and sockets to go with it so i had to pay $80 for the whole set. I tried to find alternatives to removing the nut which included gripping a regular deep socket with locking pliers but couldn't. Anyways, glad that's over.

The couple of pink springs installation guides I followed didn't tell me to cut the bump stops, so I didn't. But I've seen some that say you have to. From what I understand, since the pink springs barely lower the car, you don't need to cut them. But if you have others like Cobb's, you do. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still not really sure.

I'll feel a little better driving my car after i take it in to Lithia Subaru for an alignment this Thursday. I have spring compressors and the stupid pass through wrench if anybody wants to borrow some tools for their spring installation. It would probably cost you pizza to rent
eggeegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 04:14 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I have a pass-through GearRatchet set from Sears years ago to do my struts the first-time, and I've used it for many other tasks since then.

Congrats on the self-install! Also, consider going to BCT for that alignmnet, or Sid's alignment and Brake, or C & C.
Old 2007-02-25, 04:40 PM   #3
eggeegg
EJ22

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. I think i stripped my front strut upper 19mm bolts, (the ones used to adjust camber) at 130ft-lbs. It just turns and turns as I try to tighten. I'm not sure if it's the nut or the bolt. I used the new nuts that came with the springs. I didn't have a problem with the lower bolts/nut. But the upper, on both the left and right front struts, the same thing happened. Is it safe to drive on for now? If it's the bolt, where can I get replacements? Does anybody know the exact size/dimensions?
Stage 2 (XPT); Cobb DP; SPT intake, heatshield, CBE, radiator shroud, turbo shield; STI pink springs;Whiteline 20-24mm RSB; Kartboy End Links; rally pig sticker; 5zigen FN01R-C 17x8 w/ 225/45/17 RE960 AS PP; Hella twin supertones

Last edited by eggeegg; 2007-02-25 at 04:50 PM.
Old 2007-02-25, 04:54 PM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggeegg View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. I think i stripped my front strut upper 19mm bolts, (the ones used to adjust camber) at 130ft-lbs. It just turns and turns as I try to tighten. I'm not sure if it's the nut or the bolt. I used the new nuts that came with the springs. I didn't have a problem with the lower bolts/nut. But the upper, on both the left and right front struts, the same thing happened. Is it safe to drive on for now? If it's the bolt, where can I get replacements? Does anybody know the exact size/dimensions?
If that was a stock camber bolt, it is an eccentric which is likely a dealer only item. Sure it isn't the nut you stripped?

I wouldn't drive on it unless I had to.
Old 2007-02-25, 04:57 PM   #5
eggeegg
EJ22

I'll check to see if it's the nut. When I say strip, I'm talking about the thread (bolt or nut). Hopefully it's just the nut. Then I'll try using the original nuts.

This is something they'll notice during the alignment, right? I'm going to take it to Lithia just in case those bolts do need to be replaced.
Stage 2 (XPT); Cobb DP; SPT intake, heatshield, CBE, radiator shroud, turbo shield; STI pink springs;Whiteline 20-24mm RSB; Kartboy End Links; rally pig sticker; 5zigen FN01R-C 17x8 w/ 225/45/17 RE960 AS PP; Hella twin supertones

Last edited by eggeegg; 2007-02-25 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2007-02-25, 09:31 PM   #6
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Lithia wouldn't align my car with aftermarket springs to anything but OEM alignment specs (even though they said they would on the phone before I brought it in). I realize your springs are OEM for a Subaru, but just beware. Plus, Subaru's Service Dept. is pathetic...I wouldn't trust them to rotate my tires.

If it's the bolt that stripped, pick up one from the dealer, www.subarugenuineparts.com or www.subaruparts.com and give it to the alignment guy or install it yourself.

I recommend C&C for your alignment. Rusty is really good.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 08:12 AM   #7
eggeegg
EJ22

sounds like a good idea. how much is the alignment at other places? at subaru, it's $80 with a coupon. that seems kind of high.
Old 2007-02-26, 08:41 AM   #8
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

That's actually pretty cheap. They're usually $100.
Old 2007-02-26, 08:47 AM   #9
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
That's actually pretty cheap. They're usually $100.
Sid's was $80 last I knew.
Old 2007-02-26, 02:51 PM   #10
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

I got my car aligned in Tahoe for $65, they even said that they would align it to any spec I wanted.

Eliose Auto $ Alignment
Old 2007-02-26, 09:58 PM   #11
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggeegg View Post
The couple of pink springs installation guides I followed didn't tell me to cut the bump stops, so I didn't. But I've seen some that say you have to. From what I understand, since the pink springs barely lower the car, you don't need to cut them. But if you have others like Cobb's, you do. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still not really sure.
No cutting necessary. The pinks will be fine on the stock struts.
Old 2007-02-27, 08:10 AM   #12
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n2c3 View Post
No cutting necessary. The pinks will be fine on the stock struts.
Cutting bump stops is usually a bad idea anyway. Bump stops are usually configured to protect the strut by keeping the piston from slamming into the bottom of the housing. Better to hit the bump stops than damage the strut.
Old 2007-02-27, 03:42 PM   #13
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Truth be told, I didn't even know that was something people regularly considered as an option. I'd rather just get struts appropriate for my springs.
Old 2007-02-27, 03:50 PM   #14
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

The shop that installed my springs and struts years ago said I didn't have any bumpstops to cut! Seemed wierd since there was a big piece of paper that told you how much to trim inside the box.
Old 2007-02-27, 03:53 PM   #15
Kevin M
EJ22T

Did you buy used struts?
Old 2007-02-27, 03:58 PM   #16
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Me? No.
Old 2007-02-27, 04:01 PM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Are the bumpstops mounted on the struts? Maybe KYB AGX's don't have bumpstops?
Old 2007-02-27, 04:01 PM   #18
Kevin M
EJ22T

Soudns liek the strut supplier expected you to use your stock stops and the shop didn't take them...
Old 2007-02-27, 04:03 PM   #19
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Are the bumpstops mounted on the struts? Maybe KYB AGX's don't have bumpstops?
I believe you are supposed to use the stock bumpstops, my AGXs didn't have any.
Old 2007-02-27, 04:13 PM   #20
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Old 2007-02-27, 04:16 PM   #21
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Yep, AGX struts need to re-use the stock bumpstops. I didn't cut mine and they have been fine on Prodrive springs.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 05:54 PM   #22
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I've done some pretty crazy dirt/snow driving and haven't had issues yet. *knock on wood*
Old 2007-03-02, 05:58 PM   #23
eggeegg
EJ22

Conclusion: Couldn't find a camber bolt from any of the oem subaru parts sites and Lithia didn't have it on hand for sale. I brought my car there for the alignment and they had to look for one and a technician happened to have one or something. Anyways the cost turned out to be $80 for the alignment, $15 for a bolt and nut (I'm pretty sure I also stripped the other camber bolt but oh well), and $50 extra labor for the work in getting that bolt. I'm not super disappointed but I wish I hadn't stripped anything when i installed the springs. springs feel OK swirving hard, turning corners and going over speed bumps. I'm going to get sway bars (rear at least for now) and kartboy endlinks. hopefully won't have any problems installing those. 22mm adjustable whiteline rsb. or maybe the sti pink swaybar. i'll think about it.
Old 2007-03-02, 07:08 PM   #24
Kevin M
EJ22T

They charged you $50 for the tech to fish in his box for the spare bolt? You definitely should haev gone to Sid or C&C.
Old 2007-03-02, 11:21 PM   #25
eggeegg
EJ22

Yes they did that to me. i would have gone elsewhere if i could have found a camber bolt. i just wanted to get it done as soon as possible. but for sure, i'll take it to C&C for future services.