Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2007-04-02, 08:39 AM   #51
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxkidid View Post
scott do you think youl have it by the first autox?
Doubt it. I may have it back sometime this week, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to break in the motor and get it back down to Hayward for tuning, then back up for Apr 14.
Old 2007-04-03, 07:12 PM   #52
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

bummer. soon though. thats sweet man i wanna see this beast.
Old 2007-04-09, 11:50 AM   #53
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Someone tell me why this window net installation is good or bad. I want second opinions other than my own, and I need 'em quick because I need to order up parts and get them to GST as soon as possible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window_net.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	4126  

Old 2007-04-10, 10:40 AM   #54
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Looks ok to me.
Old 2007-04-10, 09:06 PM   #55
wrxkidid
EJ205

looks good. for the strap attaching the lowerfront corner id have a small ring welded on so you could just use a carabiner to clip the net in place. it would be easy and quick. just my .02
Old 2007-04-11, 08:31 AM   #56
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxkidid View Post
looks good. for the strap attaching the lowerfront corner id have a small ring welded on so you could just use a carabiner to clip the net in place. it would be easy and quick. just my .02
Remember that that ring will have to be under foam padding which would make it tough to use. A plain strap can run through slots in the padding easily.
Old 2007-04-11, 07:49 PM   #57
SFVette
n00b

Car: 00 2.5rs, Past toys 94 Camaro, 00 Vette
Class: STS

If the tires don't rub they're not big enough

Scott, I've heard that some tech inspectors are very picky about window net installs. I don't see how the purple strap stays in place if something goes wrong. The way it looks to me the front of the net can move left and right while at speed. I would weld a tab on the door bar its self just inside the door panel and order and custom sized net which you may already be doing. Also keep in mind looking out that side mirror and having room to slip your finger out to point someone by. With out being in the car getting the right net may be difficult. I can shoot some pics of mine on Friday but I'm sure you don't want to wait that long.
SFVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 08:48 PM   #58
wrxkidid
EJ205

couldnt you have a slot in the padding that covers the ring just like a slot that the purple strap would go through and then clip onto or have the purple strap sewen into place after going through the rign because then the net would be able to be tucked away between the cage and the seat when not in use and it wouldnt prohibit getting in and out at all.

i agree with sfvette the way you have it now seems as though the purple strap would slide around if you god forbid ended up on your lid.
Old 2007-04-12, 08:36 AM   #59
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

The purple strap stays on the lower bar because you weld or thread a retaining washer/nut onto the front end of the bar. And if the net assembly is installed correctly it will be under some vertical tension when you have the top spring loaded bar in place, so that lower front corner won't move much laterally. Yes, it will of course deflect a bit if something impacts it, but the function of the net these days is basically only to keep your arms inside the vehicle, and it should do that job fine. It doesn't have to take the force of a full torso hitting it like in the bad old days when guys raced on bench seats with lap belts & jockey helmets.
Old 2007-04-12, 09:49 AM   #60
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey View Post
The purple strap stays on the lower bar because you weld or thread a retaining washer/nut onto the front end of the bar. And if the net assembly is installed correctly it will be under some vertical tension when you have the top spring loaded bar in place, so that lower front corner won't move much laterally. Yes, it will of course deflect a bit if something impacts it, but the function of the net these days is basically only to keep your arms inside the vehicle, and it should do that job fine. It doesn't have to take the force of a full torso hitting it like in the bad old days when guys raced on bench seats with lap belts & jockey helmets.
Austin said it. The purple strap will be length adjustable to make sure it's nice and tight when the top of the net is attached, it can't slide because any lateral movement would require the strap to stretch. Plus, because of the tension and because it will be under the bar padding, I can't see it moving at all.

As far as the coverage, I think if anything the net may be too small. I will have plenty of mirror visibility (plus I've got a 14" curved interior mirror on order to bolt to the forward roll hoop), and I think I will be able to point out the window in front of the net if I stretch my arm out.

Having to design this window net deal w/o being able to get in the car and try it out is a pain in the ass, but this setup (with the strap) has been used in the past on cages that have been signed off by the SCCA. I really don't want something welded to the door cross bar, just because I know I'm going to be scraping my knee on it all the damn time, and I'll have to climb over the rod whenever I'm getting in and out.
Old 2007-04-12, 11:24 AM   #61
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
...and I'll have to climb over the rod whenever I'm getting in and out.
Usually, that's what she says.