Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2012-01-22, 08:00 PM   #1
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!
Default Free Rides?

So I'm finally in a place where I can afford a turbo upgrade, I was wondering if anybody would be willing to take me for a spin in a 20g'd car. I'm not looking for anything smaller than a TD06-20G but I'm not sure if the power increase justifies the cost or if I need to go bigger. My car is my DD and currently has:

TBE
Fuel Pump
TGV Deletes
Forged Pistons
APS Hard Inlet
and the VF39 with a tune

I know at minimum I'll need a turbo and injectors and another tune, but I think I'm going to stick with the stock TMIC for now. So anybody with a Blouch Dom Series or a 20G let me know if I can tag along on a short ride. I've read tons on NASIOC and IWSTi but I think actually being in a car is the only way I'm going to be able to decide.
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 08:07 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I wouldn't go bigger than a td06-20g on a TMIC. In fact, if you're staying TMIC, go with a td05-20g... big turbos on a street car mean you never get much use out of the power band. The smaller td05 puts the powerband right where you can actually use it.
Old 2012-01-22, 08:15 PM   #3
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

I don't think anybody makes a TD05 anymore, at least Blouch doesn't and they are the brand I'd like to stick with. They do make a TD05 18G but I don't feel like an 18G is a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 2012-01-22, 09:17 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
I don't think anybody makes a TD05 anymore, at least Blouch doesn't and they are the brand I'd like to stick with. They do make a TD05 18G but I don't feel like an 18G is a worthwhile upgrade.
No, an 18G probably wouldn't be worth an upgrade over the stock turbo on an STi.

I've been out of the loop for a while now (since I got my GT52 a while back), so I don't really know what's out there. But I'm just suggesting that you don't buy into the idea that you have to go big or you're wasting your money. Figure out what you want out of the car, then focus on finding a turbo that meets that requirement.

For example, MikeK and I both put GT52's on our cars. But he was trying to autocross, I was running time trials. Mike's now ditched his and is running a TD05-20G, because even though on paper a GT52 on 100 octane looks like it's not all that laggy, a smaller turbo just drives so much better in the lower gears. And frankly, driving around town is a lot more like autocross than time trials at RFR... what you give up in top-end hp, you more than make up for it in responsiveness, area under the curve, and with the fun of having a car with gobs of low-end torque for zipping from stop-lights and up freeway on-ramps.
Old 2012-01-22, 09:39 PM   #5
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Thanks Scott, I talked with MikeK a while ago about turbos and he had the same input about the GT52, I really like the GT52 but it is really expensive. I originally wanted the ATP3076, but the restriction of 91 octane really defeats the purpose of that turbo. I'm just looking for a moderate power increase, The STi has been at stage 2 for two or so years now and my WRX had a VF39, so I've been at this power level for a while and I'm getting bored with it. A little lag isn't a big deal if the mid-top end packs a decent punch, which is why I want a ride in a car with one.

Blouch has too many options, the new Dom turbos are pretty cool but a little out of my price range. The car is just going to be a DD for a while now, if I ever decide to go bigger I would just limit the STi to a track car and go really nuts with a beefier block and a 35r or something. I think the slightly less low end would help out my mpg for DD. My budget is around 2k-ish, turbo being 1400-1500 and injectors around 600 (a little less with Deatcshwerks core exchange) and the cost of a tune. I would pull the trigger on the new Forced Performance HTA Green, but Mike loathed his Green and everybody hates Forced Performance's customer service.
Old 2012-01-23, 11:52 AM   #6
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

TD06-20g or bigger will require a bigger MAF too (at sea level).

TD05-20g is really meant for a 2.0L, but it works pretty well on Mike's car with stock airbox, stock TMIC, and a catted exhaust.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:37 PM   #7
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Is the limiting factor of the stock TMIC the amount it flows or that it gets heatsoaked so quickly? I realize that a TMIC will get heatsoak either way but with enough heat shielding and a turbo blanket would the STi TMIC work better?
Old 2012-01-23, 10:21 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
Is the limiting factor of the stock TMIC the amount it flows or that it gets heatsoaked so quickly? I realize that a TMIC will get heatsoak either way but with enough heat shielding and a turbo blanket would the STi TMIC work better?
Anything would help, but the stock TMIC isn't that bad IMO... Just pay close attention to optimizing the flow through the stock tmic. I'm pretty sure you can get a fmic to cool much worse than any tmic, just by having improper airflow... I know my Perrin fmic sucked at the track due to the pressure issues I had in my engine bay. Meanwhile there are tmics like the process west tmic that handle gobs of power simply because they have a well designed splitter.

Make sure your stock tmic is sealing really well to the splitter without having any rows covered up and that your under tray is installed... You can probably get more use out of it than you would expect.
Old 2012-01-23, 10:31 PM   #9
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Cool, thanks Scott. I'm currently running no heat shield because the car never had the bracket for the stock shield, and I don't really notice much, I just make sure to hit the IC spray when I'm stuck in traffic or at a light.
Old 2012-01-26, 04:20 PM   #10
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

The IC Spray actually helps a huge amount. I was seeing about a 40F difference if i used it continuously during autocross / Rally cross.

if you go FMIC you really need to get a hood with out the scoop (or reverse the scoop, or block it off) the hood scoop is great for a TMIC, and horrible if you don't have one.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 09:37 AM   #11
renosubby
RIP

Car: 2006 STI
Class: SM

Never dwell on the past, It fucks your future!

I would look into the Dom 1.5xtr looks very promising and you dont lose much spool.
539WTQ
10.6 At 136MPH Sacramento
renosubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 11:36 AM   #12
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Yeah I looked into the Dom 1.5XTR, the Dom 2.5XTR, and the Dom 2.5XT, but since I'm just looking for a little increase in power I decided on the 20G, thanks tho.