Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-11-05, 01:11 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default LCD TV Shopping

Okay, now find me a 1080p Samsung LCD 52" TV for under $1000.
Old 2009-11-05, 01:59 PM   #2
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Best I saw on Bing is $1,314.00 shipped including a 5pc Hi-Def TV Hook Up Kit (Probably just some crappy cables). After the Bing cashback it's $1,279.43

Just search bing for "52 Samsung LCD" to get the cashback or here's a direct link: http://www.butterflyphoto.com/prodin...ap=SAMLN52B550

This would cost less, especially with the 8% cashback, but it's ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-52-Sam...item3a52e2c2eb

Refurb for $1,128.51 shipped.

Not a Samsung, but a good deal if you're driving to the Bay for something: LG 55LH40 55" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV $1183 (Pickup only at Fry's)

I didn't see anything new or refurbed for under a grand though.
Old 2009-11-05, 05:24 PM   #3
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I'm thinking of grabbing this Panasonic 42" TC-P42X1 720p Plasma TV for $529.99 shipped (plus Bing or Fat Wallet cash back).

http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bo...495476-404255-

Last edited by cody; 2009-11-05 at 05:26 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 05:39 PM   #4
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Last I knew, plasmas were real power hogs... Save up for a LCD. Even my 5+ year old 55" 3 LCD projector uses 20 Watts less than that plasma and it has a large high output incandescent light bulb in it. And no matter what they say, Plasmas lose brightness over time and are basically disposable because of that.
Old 2009-11-05, 05:40 PM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Thanks for the input Dean. I'm just realizing today that I can afford a new TV so I'll def. need to do some more research.
Old 2009-11-05, 06:08 PM   #6
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Car: 05 Legacy GT, 81 RX7

Not trying to hijack this thread, but seeing how the coversation has included LCD TV's, I'm interested in upgrading to a Sony Bravia 40" LCD and TIVO HD DVR. Anyone have thoughts on buying at BB and having the Geek Squad install? I'm looking to push the easy button even if it costs al ittle more.
Tahoe C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 06:47 PM   #7
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe C5 View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but seeing how the coversation has included LCD TV's, I'm interested in upgrading to a Sony Bravia 40" LCD and TIVO HD DVR. Anyone have thoughts on buying at BB and having the Geek Squad install? I'm looking to push the easy button even if it costs al ittle more.
I could do the install for you... I dont think I could do the color correction stuff as well as they could, but I could get it working for ya and make it look good.
Old 2009-11-05, 08:14 PM   #8
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
I'm curious. Will you be using the Tivo with Charter cable or something different? I've always wondered how well a Tivo box does compared to the cable and dish companies' DVR service.
Old 2009-11-05, 08:52 PM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Check to see if the TV you want is listed on amazon. If so, you can probably get BestBuy to pricematch them. Amazon is just about the only retailer online that has the whole factory authorization thing, so you might have to work a little bit to convince them it's not the same as the discount outlets.
Old 2009-11-05, 09:08 PM   #10
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

I would skip the Tivo, and if you want a DVR, go with some flavor of HTPC and possibly the Hauppauge HD PVR Model 1212 if you want to capture encrypted HD in a non-proprietary format.

I just dumped my non-HD Tivoesque ReplayTV I had used for years in favor of the HTPC route with a Pinnacle ClearQAM USB HD tuner on Charter. I don't get any of the encrypted channels with it, but works great otherwise. Actually since most everything broadcast is available for streaming on-line, I find myself watching that way more than PVRing. A long range wireless keyboard/trackpad is a must IMHO along with a multi-media remote.

And to return to the PC topic, I would not buy anything less than a 2ghz dual core preferably with Blu-Ray if you want to use it for a HTPC. You need that much horsepower to playback 720p/1080i-p h.264 and AC3/DTS audio.

Last edited by Dean; 2009-11-05 at 09:35 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 06:22 AM   #11
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
I'm curious. Will you be using the Tivo with Charter cable or something different? I've always wondered how well a Tivo box does compared to the cable and dish companies' DVR service.

I've had a TIVO with Charter Cable for 8 years w/o any hi def capability. I have found the TIVO to be easy to use in contrast to the DirectTV system my son-in-law has. Of course I'm way old, so most everything electronic is "FM" for me.
Old 2009-11-06, 06:31 AM   #12
Tahoe C5
EJ22

[QUOTE=Dean;141823]I would skip the Tivo, and if you want a DVR, go with some flavor of HTPC and possibly the Hauppauge HD PVR Model 1212 if you want to capture encrypted HD in a non-proprietary format.

I just dumped my non-HD Tivoesque ReplayTV I had used for years in favor of the HTPC route with a Pinnacle ClearQAM USB HD tuner on Charter. I don't get any of the encrypted channels with it, but works great otherwise. Actually since most everything broadcast is available for streaming on-line, I find myself watching that way more than PVRing. A long range wireless keyboard/trackpad is a must IMHO along with a multi-media remote.

Thanks Dean, I will take this post with me to someone who speaks this language, I appreciate the input because I know you know your shit. I may call you for validation that I'm not completely f'd up! ;-)
Old 2009-11-06, 06:41 AM   #13
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeikun View Post
I could do the install for you... I dont think I could do the color correction stuff as well as they could, but I could get it working for ya and make it look good.
You've got a PM
Old 2009-11-06, 07:47 AM   #14
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Thanks Dean, I will take this post with me to someone who speaks this language, I appreciate the input because I know you know your shit. I may call you for validation that I'm not completely f'd up! ;-)
Come on, it wasn't that bad. HTPC is a Home Theater Personal Computer. Basically, HDTVs work great with an appropriate PC hooked up using them as the monitor. They do all the same stuff a PC can, plus they can be a Personal/Digital Video Recorder and best yet, play all the content out there on the web on your big screen.

The world is moving away from watching TV when it is broadcast to when they want. With a HTPC, you can watch most any major broadcast network series direct from the web. We are also headed for the day when everything will be like Netflix on-demand watching movies and such without a physical disk. In the meantime, a HTPC can have a DVD/BluRay player in it eliminating another physical device.

Another choice that I am not as familiar with is getting a PS3 and using it for DVD/BluRay and streaming net video, and oh, it is also a gaming console.

Also, there are good setup guides for many HDTVs out on the web using the test patterns on many DVDs you may already own, and even better stuff for HTPCs. Many are just for the basic brightness, color, etc. and others get into the "Service menu" settings tweaking each color individually, geometry, etc...
Old 2009-11-06, 08:34 PM   #15
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
46" Samsung LCD for $989 shipped.

http://www.deals2buy.com/show/46909308/deals.htm

Let me know what you think. I may have to grab one, myself.
Old 2009-11-07, 12:37 AM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:

That's a really nice tv. I'd love one of the 630s in 52", but after the 56" dlp we've got I'm not sure I'd be happy with the 46". BTW the 630 should be the model with the matte finish screen that will reduce a little of the dynamic contrast. The 650 should have the super clear screen that's a little better unless you're in a room w/ lots of sunlight. Personally I like the matte screen better, but just a heads up nonetheless.
Old 2009-11-07, 10:46 AM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
That's a really nice tv. I'd love one of the 630s in 52", but after the 56" dlp we've got I'm not sure I'd be happy with the 46". BTW the 630 should be the model with the matte finish screen that will reduce a little of the dynamic contrast. The 650 should have the super clear screen that's a little better unless you're in a room w/ lots of sunlight. Personally I like the matte screen better, but just a heads up nonetheless.
Yah, I was reading the Amazon reviews and that's what they were saying. I'll want matte since there are 3 windows next to the TV. There are a couple 46" LCD's that are around $1K right now that I'm halfway thinking of getting. These both had good CR reviews.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A2543733

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UHPQQK/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=153678562&ref=pd_sl_38mhubun7i_e
Old 2009-11-09, 11:48 PM   #18
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

This seems like a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/returns.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&orderID=&asin=&seller=A33ZFW15ZO0RKP&isPopup=
There's not a lot of info on this TV but every review from people who buy it gives it high marks and they had nothing bad to say about it on avsforum.com. It's got an 18 month warranty but the fact that that's not indicated on Amazon and that it comes from some random seller with a 95% rating tells me to steer clear, I guess.

Specs: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_15846W4...50.html?tp=161

I couldn't find it on Sony's site.
Old 2009-11-10, 10:10 AM   #19
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
This seems like a good deal.

Sony KDL-46W4150 for $999 shipped

There's not a lot of info on this TV but every review from people who buy it gives it high marks and they had nothing bad to say about it on avsforum.com. It's got an 18 month warranty but the fact that that's not indicated on Amazon and that it comes from some random seller with a 95% rating tells me to steer clear, I guess.

Specs: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_15846W4...50.html?tp=161

I couldn't find it on Sony's site.
Sony is hit or miss for me. They seem to have two divisions, one that makes incredible high-end stuff, and one that makes garbage. Usually you can tell the difference by the price tag... so I'm always hesitant when it comes to "good deals" on Sony gear.

IMO, if I'm going to drop $1000 on a 46" LCD, I'm going Samsung all the way. If you keep an eye out, I'm betting you'll be able to find the LN46B650 or LN46B630 for around $1000 in the near future. You might even find the LN46B750 which is the 240Hz version.

Here's a good run-down of the Samsung line-up: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sams...msung-lcd.html

Edit: See, you already found one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody

Last edited by sperry; 2009-11-10 at 10:13 AM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 10:56 AM   #20
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I'm really hoping that Costco comes out with an awesome deal on a 46" LCD. That way you get their killer warranty that extends the manufacturer's warranty from 1 to 2 years and a B&M store you can return it to.
Old 2009-11-10, 11:03 AM   #21
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Definitely check out Costco. We got a 1080p 52" Westinghouse there about 8 months ago for about $1100.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 11:07 AM   #22
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

How do you like it?
Old 2009-11-10, 11:09 AM   #23
skimonkey30
Mr. Romano

Car: 2013 F150
Class: Mellow Yellow

Rubbin's Racin

Quote:
Sony is hit or miss for me. They seem to have two divisions, one that makes incredible high-end stuff, and one that makes garbage. Usually you can tell the difference by the price tag... so I'm always hesitant when it comes to "good deals" on Sony gear.

IMO, if I'm going to drop $1000 on a 46" LCD, I'm going Samsung all the way. If you keep an eye out, I'm betting you'll be able to find the LN46B650 or LN46B630 for around $1000 in the near future. You might even find the LN46B750 which is the 240Hz version.

Here's a good run-down of the Samsung line-up: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sams...msung-lcd.html

Edit: See, you already found one!
I just bought the LN46B750 for 1399 at Best Buy last week with a 30 day price match guarantee. It's in the box still for the upcoming move but it looked AMAZING when i plugged in the blu-ray player and turned on Planet Earth.
Old 2009-11-10, 11:17 AM   #24
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklesplitter View Post
Definitely check out Costco. We got a 1080p 52" Westinghouse there about 8 months ago for about $1100.
You must be a gambling man to buy a Westinghouse! I guess the Costco warranty lowers the risk, but they're notoriously the worst company to buy an LCD from.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...tinghouse.html
Old 2009-11-10, 11:36 AM   #25
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

By the way, one thing I noticed is that Sears will beat any advertised price of any local B&M store by 10%. So if you see a great price on a TV from Best Buy, and it can be picked up locally, print it out and bring it into Sears and if they have the same TV, you just saved 10%.

Quote:
If you find a lower price on an identical branded item with the same features (in Home Electronics identical brand and model number) currently available for sale at another local competitor retail store, Sears will match that price plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just bring in the original advertisement to a sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Online Retail Competitors

If you find a lower online price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an identical branded item with the same features (in Home Electronics identical brand and model number) currently available from a local competitor retail store honoring its own online price and the item is currently available for sale and delivery in your area, Sears will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just print the ordering page, including shipping, handling and delivery, and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing the item from sears.com, please fill out a Price Match form.

Sears Holdings

If you find a lower price on an identical item (brand and model number) currently available for sale and delivery in your area from another Sears Holdings retail format or website, Sears will match that price, but will not provide the additional 10% of the difference. All other rules for qualification apply.

Exclusions

Sears will not price match competitors' items that are limited in quantity, offered for sale for less than six hours during a day, or offered for sale during the day after Thanksgiving. Sears will not price match competitors´ bonus or free offers, special offers, bundled offers, rebates, financing offers, coupons, clearance or closeout prices, or prices on used, damaged, returned, open box or display merchandise. Sears will not price match services. Sears will not match typographical errors or competitors' prices that result from a price match. Photo copies of advertisements or receipts will not be accepted as verification of competitor pricing.

Price Protection Policy

Buy with confidence from Sears. If an item you have purchased from Sears goes on sale for a lower price within 30 days of your purchase, Sears will refund the difference.

To claim a Price Protection Policy adjustment, go to your original Sears store where the purchase was made with your receipt. If your purchase was made on Sears.com, please fill out a Price Protection form. You will be given a refund for the difference of the original selling price and the current advertised/reduced price.

Apparel clearance merchandise does not qualify for Price Protection Policy adjustments.

Unless otherwise stated, promotions with a specific time window such as early open specials and one -day sales will be honored under the Price Protection policy only if the receipt is presented during the promotional time window. Deferred interest financing is not a price, and is not subject to the Price Protection Policy.

Price Match Plus FAQs

Q: Do you match limited quantity offers by local competitors?
A: No, our policy does not apply to local competitors' limited quantity offers.

Q: What if the local competitor’s item is not listed as being limited quantity, but the item is not in stock?
A: If a local competitor is out of stock of the particular item, we will not match the local competitor's price. “In stock” means that the item is available for same day pickup or a scheduled delivery by the competitor. We reserve the right to call the local competitor to verify if the item is in stock.

Q: Can I combine a price match with a separate promotion from Sears?
A: In order to determine if a price match is appropriate, Sears will determine the final Sears price by factoring in any sales, rebates or coupons and comparing that price to the local competitor’s price.

Q: Can special offers ( financing, delivery, installation, etc) at a competitor be price matched?
A: We only match a competitor’s price. We do not match a competitor’s financing or deferred interest offers, deliver or installation offers.

Q: Does Sears price match limited time promotions, such as early opening specials or doorbusters?
A: No, if the competitor’s promotion has a duration of less than 6 hours, it is excluded from our price match policy.

Q: Do you price match the day after Thanksgiving specials?
A: No, we no not match local competitor’s day after Thanksgiving special offers. These offers are typically limited in time and quantity.

Q: What proof is required to obtain a price match?
A: You are required to provide the competitor’s current advertisement. Photocopies will not be accepted. In addition, we may call the store to verify price and availability.

Q: What do you consider to be a local competitor’s retail store?
A: Local competitor’s retail store refers to a store that is in the same market and/or within a reasonable distance of our store.

Q: Are Sears services or protection agreements eligible for price matching?
A: Due to the differences in services being performed, Sears does not match competitors' service prices. This includes, but is not limited to, services such as delivery, installation, assembly and automotive. Sears does not price match protection agreements.

Q: Will Sears match its own prices?
A: Under the Sears Price Protection Policy, Sears will adjust a customer’s price if the item goes on sale up to 30 days after the initial purchase. See the Price Protection Policy for details

Q: How do you handle a price match if the Sears price includes a promotional offer such as a free gift card or rebate?
A: The Sears net purchase price is calculated by deducting the value of all instant and mail-in discounts such as rebates, free offers and promotional gift cards. Existing rebates and free offers associated with a product purchased at Sears will not apply if a price match is executed.

Q: Does Sears match prices of Internet retailers?
A: Sears will match prices of an Internet retailer with a local retail store honoring its own online prices. Sears will not match prices of Internet-only retailers. Web-exclusive prices are also exempt from price matching. Eligible items must be the same brand and model, and currently in stock at the local competitor's store. For purchases made online at Sears.com, please fill out a Price Match form.

Q: What does “identical item” mean in Home Electronics?
A: An “identical item” is a nationally branded product with the same model number. This item must be new and in-carton and include the same US warranty and same accessories as the Sears item.

Q: What are the other Sears Holdings formats?
A: Sears Holdings retail formats or websites include Sears, Sears Essentials, Sears Grand, Sears Hardware, Sears Dealer Stores, The Great Indoors, Kmart, Lands’ End, sears.com, kmart.com, Landsend.com, thegreatindoors.com. We do not price match merchandise from Sears Outlet Stores.

Q: What exclusions apply to the Sears Price Match Plus Policy?
A: Sears Price Match Plus Policy does not apply to parts, Sears Licensed partner websites, digital services, “Sears Presents” and Shop At Home catalogs. Stores in Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii will not match any online prices.

Q: For Automotive tires what does “identical item with the same features” mean?
A: In Automotive Tires, identical item means same brand, model number and tire size.

Q: Does Sears match retail stores that require a membership?
A: Sears will match membership club stores. Customers must present their current membership card along with the proof of the price that is being matched. Sears does not price match military PX retail stores.

Request Price Match Plus ClosePlease answer the following questions to determine your eligibility for Sears Price Match Plus.
Only orders placed within the past 30 days are eligible for Price Match Plus.

This item is not eligible for Price Match Plus. Why not?

Is the product on the competitor site exactly the same as the item on the Sears site? Yes No
Is the item on the competitor site in stock and available to be shipped? Yes No
Does the competitor have a physical store located in your area? Yes No
Is the Sears item new and in the original manufacturer packaging? Yes No

Last edited by cody; 2009-11-10 at 11:42 AM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote