Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2006-02-08, 10:18 AM   #1
dustinr
EJ18

Car: '04 Porsche Turbo X50, '05 STi, '05 Evo MR, '02 Ducati 998, '02 Ducati MH900e

love the quote "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Default My new dream car...

http://www.freestreamcars.com/
dustinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 10:48 AM   #2
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

ooo that's cool.
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 10:51 AM   #3
LetItRev
R.I.P.

Car: 2004 WRX

"....British designed, developed and built." That part scares me!
LetItRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 10:56 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

When they've got more than a drawing of the car on a flash website, I might start getting interested.
Old 2006-02-08, 11:32 AM   #5
sonicsuby
Wagon Ho #2

I want the new Lamborgado Fastarossa.
sonicsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 11:38 AM   #6
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

What is that? Google brings up Lamborghini Testarossa hahaha.
Old 2006-02-08, 11:42 AM   #7
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
What is that? Google brings up Lamborghini Testarossa hahaha.
Exactly.
Old 2006-02-08, 12:38 PM   #8
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
When they've got more than a drawing of the car on a flash website, I might start getting interested.
I found these in a PDF by clicking "Media" on the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	3201  

Name:	T1b.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	3202  

Name:	T1D.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3204  

Attached Images

cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 12:39 PM   #9
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Pretty rad, like a super Enzo.
Old 2006-02-08, 12:39 PM   #10
sonicsuby
Wagon Ho #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n2c3
Exactly.
It's a Simpsons joke, noobers
sonicsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 01:18 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
I found these in a PDF by clicking "Media" on the site.
Okay, so they put their computer rendered images in a PDF file as well as their flash website.

Show me a video of the car at a race track and I'll start believing this is something more than a marketing exercise.

/me would just buy a V8 Radical for 1/3 what that ugly thing costs and drive circles around it.
Old 2006-02-08, 11:48 PM   #12
sp00ln
EJ205

that thing looks retarded.
Old 2006-02-09, 10:18 AM   #13
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

Yeah, i'm not to sure about the whole half open wheel, half not
Old 2006-02-10, 09:54 AM   #14
dustinr
EJ18

Car: '04 Porsche Turbo X50, '05 STi, '05 Evo MR, '02 Ducati 998, '02 Ducati MH900e

Graham Halstead and Scott-Geddes share an impressive track record and formed part of the small engineering team that worked on the McLaren F1 and Mercedes-McLaren SLR. In terms of sheer vehicle performance their vision for the Freestream T1 was an ultra-lightweight car capable of reaching 100mph in five seconds, with a top speed exceeding 200mph depending on the adjustable aerodynamic set-up, with enough downforce to corner at more than 3g - about the same as a Le Mans prototype - and the ability to stop on the proverbial sixpence.

However, in terms of addressing fundamental automotive industry issues - such as safety and CO2 emissions for example - the car will showcase the consultancy's core credentials. "Concept vehicles are ten-a-penny and this is more than a one-off prototype," says Scott-Geddes. "The only way to truly convince car makers that we have the experience and skills to design and engineer a safe, reliable, cost-efficient albeit high-performance car is to actually design and build one. We then have something to discuss."

"In addition, there is a global market for an exclusive ultra-high performance track car that can also be used on the road; so in effect we've found an exciting way of funding our demonstrator," added Halstead. "Customers for the car will either be private individuals with a passion for high performance sports cars or corporate clients requiring an affordable yet prestigious track car for the fast growing market of hospitality race experience events. Meanwhile, we look forward to working closely with automotive clients to help tackle their design engineering issues."

The Freestream T1 powertrain comprises a bespoke 2.4-litre supercharged V8 aluminium engine with a mass of approximately 85kg. Similarly, the 6-speed sequential transmission with magnesium casing is a bespoke design with a mass of approximately 30kg. The carbon/aluminium honeycomb monocoque features a separate composite crash structure at the front, while the rear sub-frame specifies aerospace grade steel. The non carbon-fibre steel suspension, for example, illustrates the company's ability to specify structural materials that can deliver the maximum performance at the lowest possible cost. Overall, the £150,000 price tag underlines the company's ability to design and build an exclusive car at a relatively low price despite its ultra high performance.

Sounds pretty legit to me...

Who ever thought a Scottish car would be great (Mclaren F1), so just because it's made in England doesn't mean much.

As far as a V8 Radical running circles around it... for 1/3 the price.

A V8 Radical (which isn't street legal) weighs in dry at 650KG and makes 360hp and the engines are only good for 30 hours between rebuilds (sign me up!). Not sure what a new one cost but a used one costs over $106,000.

The new SR9 Radical which isn't street legal either, will come a little closer in performance, weighing 750KG with 525hp. A rolling chasis with out motor costs $247,000 adding the motor adds another $57,000. So 1/3 the cost? Not quite.
Old 2006-02-10, 11:07 AM   #15
bruspeed
EJ251

Car: 2005 2.5 rs cgm
Class: TDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinr

The Freestream T1 powertrain comprises a bespoke 2.4-litre supercharged V8 aluminium engine with a mass of approximately 85kg.

That would sound so crazy!! not to mention rev like a motorcycle.
Old 2006-02-10, 12:00 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Actually, the Radical is street legal everywhere but the US. The single lap street car record for the Nurburgring is held by a Radical.

Now if the T1 actually gets built it may be street legal in the UK/Europe, but I guarentee that car will never pass DOT regulations for street use. Unless they release a version that's about 6 inches higher off the ground and put bumpers and airbags on it.

As far as the pricing... in the US a Radical SR3 costs around $75,000... the SR4 about $50,000. And I wouldn't need a V8 SR8 to run circles around some rich dude in his toy, all I need is to lift his gearbox off the ground once, and I guarentee he'll stay out of my way.

Regarding the price of the SR9... considering it's a purpose build Le Mans Prototype 2 and all, I'd say $300,000 is dirt cheap compared to something like the Porsche LMP2 car that I'd guess costs at least twice as much:

Old 2006-02-10, 12:13 PM   #17
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

^^sex

that thing is f'ing gorgeous!
Old 2006-02-10, 03:21 PM   #18
dustinr
EJ18

Quote:
Actually, the Radical is street legal everywhere but the US. The single lap street car record for the Nurburgring is held by a Radical.

Now if the T1 actually gets built it may be street legal in the UK/Europe, but I guarentee that car will never pass DOT regulations for street use. Unless they release a version that's about 6 inches higher off the ground and put bumpers and airbags on it.

As far as the pricing... in the US a Radical SR3 costs around $75,000... the SR4 about $50,000. And I wouldn't need a V8 SR8 to run circles around some rich dude in his toy, all I need is to lift his gearbox off the ground once, and I guarentee he'll stay out of my way.

Regarding the price of the SR9... considering it's a purpose build Le Mans Prototype 2 and all, I'd say $300,000 is dirt cheap compared to something like the Porsche LMP2 car that I'd guess costs at least twice as much:

Radicals are awesome track cars, there's no denying that. 6:55 lap at The Ring is stellar. But as a street car, something you can drive around town? Not my first choice. That's like driving a shifter kart on the street. I bet in Europe you see Radicals being driven to the grocery store all the time; great date car too, "Sorry about the hair honey!" ..."What?" "Sor-ry bout the hair!"..."What?" ..."NEVER MIND, I'll tell you when we stop!" (hehe).

I like the idea of cars that have a compromise of both worlds. A car that turns, brakes and accelerates at 3G's like a track only car, and also has an enclosed cockpit, will probably have a stereo and a few frills like a street car, and you could drive it more than just weekends. That's way cool. Like the Dauer 962.

A race car that was converted into a street car with frills. The Areial Atom is another track/street car which would be a blast to drive like the Radical, but it wouldn't be fun as a daily driver. Maybe if Radical made an enclosed cockpit I'd be more thrilled about it.
Old 2006-02-10, 03:46 PM   #19
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinr
Radicals are awesome track cars, there's no denying that. 6:55 lap at The Ring is stellar. But as a street car, something you can drive around town? Not my first choice. That's like driving a shifter kart on the street. I bet in Europe you see Radicals being driven to the grocery store all the time; great date car too, "Sorry about the hair honey!" ..."What?" "Sor-ry bout the hair!"..."What?" ..."NEVER MIND, I'll tell you when we stop!" (hehe).

I like the idea of cars that have a compromise of both worlds. A car that turns, brakes and accelerates at 3G's like a track only car, and also has an enclosed cockpit, will probably have a stereo and a few frills like a street car, and you could drive it more than just weekends. That's way cool. Like the Dauer 962.

A race car that was converted into a street car with frills. The Areial Atom is another track/street car which would be a blast to drive like the Radical, but it wouldn't be fun as a daily driver. Maybe if Radical made an enclosed cockpit I'd be more thrilled about it.
I think you're confused as to what that T1 is supposed to be. It's a Le Mans Prototype production car. Hell it's made by the folks that were pissed that Mercedes wouldn't let them leave the interior as bare carbon in the SLR. This thing will have zero creature comforts: no reclinable seats, no adjustable wheel (unless you count a removeable wheel which it will need so you can get in and out of it), no A/C, no stereo, no power anything (uncluding brakes or steering), no room (look at the picture of the rolling chassis you posted, that thing makes a Lotus Elise look like an Escalade), and so on. The road going manners will be awful... hell even the track going manners will be harsh... ever watch the ALMS prototypes? They bounce and hop all over the place on a smooth race track w/ tons of downforce! There's no way you're gonna get 3+G's of latteral handling without the car being a 1st rate kindey-buster.

The designers themselves call this an "exclusive ultra-high performance track car". Just because it might be road legal in the UK does not make it at all a street car... same as the Radical and the Atom... sure they're street legal, but nobody daily drives them.

The market for this car is simple: rich dudes that aren't rich enough to purchase former F1 car. Same market the Atom and the Radical are so successful in. But the T1 is going to be way too expensive for that market. If you've got the scratch for this car, you're going to buy a historical F1 car, or buy your own race team and be the test driver. If Ferrari decided there's a world-wide market of 400 for the Enzo, I'm gonna guess there's a world-wide market of 40 for this thing... and I seriously doubt these guys will ever be able to build more than just a prototype if that's the number they can expect to sell.

So yeah, it's a friggen cool car, in the same way Le Mans cars are cool cars, and it would be awesome if someone could make a car like that available to the masses, but I don't see it happening. Maybe if lowered the performance specs and offered it at half the cost, they'd have a shot.
Old 2006-02-10, 03:49 PM   #20
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

I'll take an Ariel Atom as it exists, is street legal in the US, and is affordable (~same as a new STi).
Old 2006-02-10, 03:54 PM   #21
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'll take an Ariel Atom as it exists, is street legal in the US, and is affordable (~same as a new STi).
I didn't think the Atom passed DOT, if it did, that rocks! Though I don't think it's the same price as an STI... I would guess around $60k. Unless you're not talking about the supercharged Honda powered version... even then, the markup is going to be insane!
Old 2006-02-10, 04:01 PM   #22
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Quote:
I didn't think the Atom passed DOT, if it did, that rocks! Though I don't think it's the same price as an STI... I would guess around $60k. Unless you're not talking about the supercharged Honda powered version... even then, the markup is going to be insane!
GM Ecotec 2.2 Liter 140hp 150ft/lbs (Avail Q3 2006) $33,299.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 205hp 200 ft/lbs Supercharged $38,790.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 230hp 205ft/lbs Supercharged $39,950.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 245hp 215 ft/lbs Supercharged $41,110.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 300hp 250 ft/lbs Supercharged $46,500.00

Honda iVTEC 2.0 Liter 210hp 115 ft/lbs $37,140.00
Honda iVTEC 2.0 Liter 245hp 143ft/lbs Hondata ECU $39,140.00
Honda VTEC 2.0 Liter 300hp 163ft/lbs Supercharged $43,640.00

There might be hella mark-up right now though.

http://www.atomclub.com/content/forsale.htm

Quote:
Ariel Atom 220 Left Hand Drive USA

Mileage: 2,900
Year: 2003
Colour: Red
Specification: 220 Honda, 6 speed, Road Pack, LSD, Baffled Sump, Alcon Brakes front, competition brakes rear, Adjustable bounce and rebound dampers, Eibach race and assister springs, competition rod ends, removable steering wheel, polished stainless exhaust system, stainless fixings, 17" wheel package, shift light quick release steering wheel, 3" harnesses, locking fuel cap.
Notes: Washington registration
Old 2006-02-10, 04:06 PM   #23
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
GM Ecotec 2.2 Liter 140hp 150ft/lbs (Avail Q3 2006) $33,299.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 205hp 200 ft/lbs Supercharged $38,790.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 230hp 205ft/lbs Supercharged $39,950.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 245hp 215 ft/lbs Supercharged $41,110.00
GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 300hp 250 ft/lbs Supercharged $46,500.00

Honda iVTEC 2.0 Liter 210hp 115 ft/lbs $37,140.00
Honda iVTEC 2.0 Liter 245hp 143ft/lbs Hondata ECU $39,140.00
Honda VTEC 2.0 Liter 300hp 163ft/lbs Supercharged $43,640.00

There might be hella mark-up right now though.

http://www.atomclub.com/content/forsale.htm
Awesome!

And I really like the options they added to the Ecotec motor... 300/250 is *way* more than that car needs!
Old 2006-02-10, 05:18 PM   #24
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

If you like Subarus, was this already posted?:

http://64.82.22.49/default.asp

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 05:23 PM   #25
dustinr
EJ18

Quote:
I think you're confused as to what that T1 is supposed to be. It's a Le Mans Prototype production car. Hell it's made by the folks that were pissed that Mercedes wouldn't let them leave the interior as bare carbon in the SLR. This thing will have zero creature comforts: no reclinable seats, no adjustable wheel (unless you count a removeable wheel which it will need so you can get in and out of it), no A/C, no stereo, no power anything (uncluding brakes or steering), no room (look at the picture of the rolling chassis you posted, that thing makes a Lotus Elise look like an Escalade), and so on. The road going manners will be awful... hell even the track going manners will be harsh... ever watch the ALMS prototypes? They bounce and hop all over the place on a smooth race track w/ tons of downforce! There's no way you're gonna get 3+G's of latteral handling without the car being a 1st rate kindey-buster.

The designers themselves call this an "exclusive ultra-high performance track car". Just because it might be road legal in the UK does not make it at all a street car... same as the Radical and the Atom... sure they're street legal, but nobody daily drives them.

The market for this car is simple: rich dudes that aren't rich enough to purchase former F1 car. Same market the Atom and the Radical are so successful in. But the T1 is going to be way too expensive for that market. If you've got the scratch for this car, you're going to buy a historical F1 car, or buy your own race team and be the test driver. If Ferrari decided there's a world-wide market of 400 for the Enzo, I'm gonna guess there's a world-wide market of 40 for this thing... and I seriously doubt these guys will ever be able to build more than just a prototype if that's the number they can expect to sell.

So yeah, it's a friggen cool car, in the same way Le Mans cars are cool cars, and it would be awesome if someone could make a car like that available to the masses, but I don't see it happening. Maybe if lowered the performance specs and offered it at half the cost, they'd have a shot.
You're probably right.