Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-10-30, 05:31 AM   #1
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Religulous

Sybir's post of the Johnny Cash song reminded me to post about this movie... (Good song, subject matter was the reminder.)

This is a very well done and very interesting documentary that has a great deal of humor in it as well.

All atheists and agnostics should see it as should any holiday/wedding only/at most church goers...

The truly devout should not bother unless they are willing to question their faith.

It is only playing downtown(Reno), so catch it before it is gone, or catch it when it comes out on DVD...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1188454-religulous/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Tomatoes
Bill Maher travels to Israel, England, the Netherlands, Vatican City, and across America, speaking to people about faith and religion in the very funny documentary RELIGULOUS. Maher, a stand-up comedian who has hosted the talk shows POLITICALLY INCORRECT on ABC and REAL TIME on HBO and has written such bestsellers as DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT? and WHEN YOU RIDE ALONE, YOU RIDE WITH BIN LADEN, reaches out to religious leaders as well as regular folk on the street, discussing the existence of God and the importance of organized religion. Maher makes it clear from the start that he is not a fan of religion and does not believe in God, and he has fun skewering people who do--including Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Mormons, rabbis, priests, politicians, scientists, evangelical ministers, and even a preacher whose church is a converted truck. He also visits such places as the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, Florida, where he interviews the actor who plays Jesus in a live show there, and the Red Light District in Amsterdam, notorious for its legalized drugs and prostitution. As he has done on his television programs and in his books, Maher questions literal interpretations of the Bible, seeing it more as a collection of fairy tales. Director Larry Charles (BORAT, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM) intersperses clips from Hollywood films about religion to punctuate Maher's points, often to hilarious effect. The soundtrack is also used effectively, including such songs as the Doobie Brothers' "Jesus Is Just Alright," Ben Folds's "Jesusland," and Billy Bragg and Wilco's "Christ for President." Like such Michael Moore documentaries as FAHRENHEIT 9/11 and BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE, Maher's RELIGULOUS uses humor--and lots of cynicism and sarcasm--to examine controversial theories and topics that people feel very strongly about, no matter what side of the fence they are on. In addition to making audiences laugh, RELIGULOUS will make them think.

Last edited by Dean; 2008-10-30 at 06:00 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 08:13 AM   #2
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

I bet it's good, Bill is a funny guy.
Old 2008-10-30, 08:31 PM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

What do you mean when you say that it will make a religious person question their faith. Faith in their religion or faith in the existence of God? Does it make you want to believe in evolution?
Old 2008-10-30, 08:37 PM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Bill Maher is a typical single-minded, stubborn S.O.B. talking head. He is trying to play this like it's some open-minded exploration, but I have my doubts, and those doubts will stop me from springing for a ticket to see it. I'm afraid I'll be right.
Old 2008-10-30, 10:40 PM   #5
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
What do you mean when you say that it will make a religious person question their faith. Faith in their religion or faith in the existence of God? Does it make you want to believe in evolution?
Yes. On second thought, it is not likely to shake the faith of the Devout. More likely, as the satanic verses annoyed the Muslims, this will likely annoy the devout of all faiths, though not to the same extent.

If you are mildly religious, check it out.

Kevin, I don't think there is any premise of open mindedness. If you read the Rotten tomatoes description, you will see that he admits his bias in the opening scene... That bias does not prevent him from asking questions of those who do believe, does it?
Old 2008-10-31, 04:14 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Yes. On second thought, it is not likely to shake the faith of the Devout. More likely, as the satanic verses annoyed the Muslims, this will likely annoy the devout of all faiths, though not to the same extent.

If you are mildly religious, check it out.

Kevin, I don't think there is any premise of open mindedness. If you read the Rotten tomatoes description, you will see that he admits his bias in the opening scene... That bias does not prevent him from asking questions of those who do believe, does it?
I just get annoyed by anyone who approaches something like this as "I'm right and you're wrong, now let me beat you over the head with the reasons why." Doesn't matter what the issue is or which side of it that person is on.
Old 2008-10-31, 05:04 PM   #7
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

I hate Bill Maher. I ran into him at the bar at the El Dorado a few years back and he was a total prick. He's gotten pretty far thanks to a core of writers that tell him what to say. No talent 5'0"" douchebag as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2008-10-31, 05:38 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
I hate Bill Maher. I ran into him at the bar at the El Dorado a few years back and he was a total prick. He's gotten pretty far thanks to a core of writers that tell him what to say. No talent 5'0"" douchebag as far as I'm concerned.
I'll agree with the douchebag part, but I'm not sure he's talentless... the guy does host one of the few live TV programs, and if he wasn't good on his feet, his show would have been canceled long ago. I'd call him a talented 5'0" douchebag.
Old 2008-11-01, 09:51 AM   #9
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Either way, I can't enjoy anything he's a part of.