Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2010-10-09, 07:34 AM   #301
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Yeah, should be interesting to hold qualy right before the race. Better not hurt the car, there will be little time for repairs. Forecast is for continued rain...
Old 2010-10-14, 03:12 PM   #302
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

I hear Korea got approved.
Old 2010-11-06, 05:38 PM   #303
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Jenson Button escapes armed assault in Sao Paulo.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/11/07/b...-in-sao-paulo/

Wow. Jenson was impressed with his driver, apparently. I think I would be too, in that situation.

Quote:
McLaren has revealed that Jenson Button has escaped unscathed from an apparent armed robbery or car jacking attempt in Sao Paulo this evening.

Apparently six men with machine guns were involved in the attack which happened as Jenson was being driven to his hotel. Jenson and his entourage emerged unscathed, because their police driver was able to get away by bouncing off other cars.

The Daily Mail tonight reports Jenson as saying: “We were going back from the track and were outside a shanty town and moving slowly on a busy road. I saw a dog come out. It was very cute. The next thing I saw was a man with a gun. Our guy angled the car and floored it.

‘That’s when we saw six men, all of them brandishing machine-guns. My driver was a legend. It was very scary. I don’t know whether they knew who it was they were ambushing. I said, “Isn’t that a gun?” and as soon as I said that, the driver angled the car. I am glad I didn’t have my girlfriend Jessica with me – she would have been terrified.’

The incident is extremely worrying for all F1 personnel.

A McLaren statement said: “On Saturday evening (November 6) on the way back from the Interlagos circuit to Morumbi (Sao Paulo), armed would-be assailants made an attempt to approach the car that was carrying Jenson Button.

“Neither Jenson nor the other occupants of the car were hurt. (The other occupants were John Button [Jenson’s father], Mike Collier [Jenson’s physio] and Richard Goddard [Jenson’s manager].)

“Vodafone McLaren Mercedes had provided both Jenson and team-mate Lewis Hamilton with reinforced armoured vehicles driven by police drivers, who had been trained in avoidance techniques and were armed.

“The police driver of Jenson’s vehicle reacted swiftly and, using avoidance techniques, rapidly forced his way through the traffic, taking Jenson and the other occupants of the car immediately away from any danger and back to their hotel.

“The Sao Paulo authorities have also acted efficiently and will be providing additional security to transfer Jenson and other senior Vodafone McLaren Mercedes personnel to the Interlagos circuit for Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix.
Old 2010-11-08, 07:08 PM   #304
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

I really hope Alonso doesn't win. I'd like to see Webber take the title, but really I'd be happy as long as Alonso doesn't.

I'm just glad Redbull didn't call down any team orders this weekend.
Old 2010-11-09, 08:59 AM   #305
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Danger View Post
I really hope Alonso doesn't win. I'd like to see Webber take the title, but really I'd be happy as long as Alonso doesn't.

I'm just glad Redbull didn't call down any team orders this weekend.
Maybe I enjoy the soap opera of F1 too much, but I am kind of hoping Alonso does win, and the margin is small enough that Webber would have won if there had been team orders at red bull at Brasil.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 09:26 AM   #306
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Maybe I enjoy the soap opera of F1 too much, but I am kind of hoping Alonso does win, and the margin is small enough that Webber would have won if there had been team orders at red bull at Brasil.
I HATE HATE HATE that Alonso it going to win the title because Red Bull doesn't mind throwing away Webber's one and only chance at a title.

Vettel will probably win 2 or 3 championships in his career... but this is it for Webber, and as F1 is a *team* sport I think his team let him down. And because of it, neither Red Bull driver will get the championship.

Team orders *should* be part of F1. The problem with them was just that Barrichello got owned in the past by orders and it pissed off all the Brazillian fans... but frankly, that's part of F1. F1 sucked in general during the Schumacher era... making team orders illegal wasn't going to fix that.

Webber should be one point back from Alonso right now. The fact that he's not sucks not only for Webber, but it makes Alonso's championship worth that much less since he's leading *because* of team orders in Germany.
Old 2010-11-10, 02:43 PM   #307
skimonkey30
Mr. Romano

Car: 2013 F150
Class: Mellow Yellow

Rubbin's Racin

No No No this is F1!! Here's how it'll end:

A freak rain storm will hit Abu Dhabi race morning then Webber, Vettel, and Alonso will go into turn 1 3-wide nobody will make it out, Hamilton will then pass lead the entire race and win the championship by 1 point.

In reality I'm hoping Vettel somehow pulls it off. I have a feeling Alonso will blow an engine
Old 2010-11-10, 04:38 PM   #308
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimonkey30 View Post
No No No this is F1!! Here's how it'll end:

A freak rain storm will hit Abu Dhabi race morning then Webber, Vettel, and Alonso will go into turn 1 3-wide nobody will make it out, Hamilton will then pass lead the entire race and win the championship by 1 point.

In reality I'm hoping Vettel somehow pulls it off. I have a feeling Alonso will blow an engine
Alonso's got a nearly-new motor for the race due to that weird as hell loophole rule that allows a previous engine to be used for the last race without penalty. I doubt he'll blow a motor.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vettel win. He'd already be champion right now if he hadn't had so much terrible luck at the start of the season. But I'm rooting for Webber... he earned it in Hungary when he drove forever on those option tires to gap the field for the win. Plus, he's an "old" dude, this is probably his only shot at winning a championship... I won't feel bad for Vettel 'cause he'll have many more opportunities for it. Also, if he's a champion, it makes my dumb story about almost getting run over by him in that golf cart in Montreal a little bit better.
Old 2010-11-10, 07:52 PM   #309
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Lets hope the McLaren team can knock Alonso down the field.

Although if Vettel finishes first, with Webber in second, and Alonso in fifth there will be a 3 way tie for first in the championship. As of right now each of them have four wins, so Vettel would take the title. That would be interesting. In that situation who would take second? Is it the person with the most second place wins?
Old 2010-11-10, 09:02 PM   #310
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Car: 05 Legacy GT, 81 RX7

I gotta pull for Webber, Vettel will be to much to tolerate if he wins, the guy needs to grow-up, I'm tired of his whiney excuses that blame everyone else. Vettel is a great driver and he'll like have many more chances to win the championship, I just feel Webber has paid his dues and deserves it this year. Just sayin.
Tahoe C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:44 AM   #311
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Also, if he's a champion, it makes my dumb story about almost getting run over by him in that golf cart in Montreal a little bit better.
Ahh Memories.... I too am pulling for Webber, although his crash in Korea may have made it too difficult to overcome.
Old 2010-11-11, 09:37 AM   #312
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I'm calling it now. Vettel punts Alonso, Massa wins, Webber in second, Webber wins the championship.
Old 2010-11-11, 09:45 AM   #313
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
I'm calling it now. Vettel punts Alonso, Massa wins, Webber in second, Webber wins the championship.
If Vettel and/or Red Bull won't even swap their 1-2 finishing order, there's no way Vettel would stoop to intentionally shunting Alonso! But god damn that would be entertaining.
Old 2010-11-11, 09:51 AM   #314
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

I figure I have to make the wild predictions, because the probable ones are boring.

And it'll be really cool if I'm right.
Old 2010-11-18, 06:54 AM   #315
MattR
El Matador

This could potentially start out the 2011 F1 thread...But I really have to question Williams' decision to release Niko Hulkenberg. I think he showed true progress all season.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...ulkenberg-axe/

Quote:
From Speed.com
Nico Hulkenberg's manager has hit out at Williams for taking so long to oust the 23-year-old ahead of the 2011 season.

Auto Motor und Sport in Germany is reporting that the British team's chairman Adam Parr only told the German and his manager Willi Weber that he will not be racing next year in the darkness after last Sunday's Abu Dhabi season finale.

Apparently so late was the decision communicated that Hulkenberg was planning a longer stay in the Middle East ahead of the first Pirelli test late this week.

Williams confirmed only on Wednesday that Rubens Barrichello will now be doing the tire testing alone.

"I have not been handled like this for the last 20 years," said Weber, referring to his two-decade involvement in F1 since Michael Schumacher entered the sport at the beginning of the '90s.

"I wouldn't have minded if they came clean and said, 'We need money so we can no longer afford Nico.' But instead we are at the last second where we have hardly any time to look elsewhere," he added.

It is believed that Renault is no longer an option for Hulkenberg, given the Russian government's reported decision to pour more backing into Vitaly Petrov's coffers for 2011.

German reports mention Force India and Lotus as possibilities, but Ferrari and Weber have officially denied the reported link between Hulkenberg and Felipe Massa's confirmed cockpit.
Old 2010-12-06, 10:57 PM   #316
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Its starting to come out that Mark Webber raced the last 4 races with a broken shoulder.

Never told anyone at Red Bull either.

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsp...ory/35905.html
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../12/11590.html
Old 2010-12-07, 06:00 AM   #317
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Webber just needs to stay off friggen bicycles. I mean, you drive an F1 car, man... how much fun can a bike be?!
Old 2010-12-07, 10:36 AM   #318
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

The only time you have complete control and autonomy, maybe? F1 is such a circus....