Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2005-12-27, 07:13 AM   #1
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?
Default Reno SCCA Street Tire changes

The following is a quote from the Reno SCCA newsletter, a proposal has been made to eliminate the street tire class, and run street tire and race tire cars together in their respective classes, with the street tire adjustment remaining for the street tire cars. Basically, the result will be larger classes, and no more overall street tire class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From SCCA Newsletter
For at least a trial year, I propose we run every car in
its normal SCCA class. For instance a BS 350Z on
street tires will run with and compete against all
other BS cars whether on street tires or D.O.T. race
tires. The street tired cars will still be designated
with a T before their class letters and will still receive
a PAX handicap. We might choose to adjust the
handicap as the high performance street tires of 140
tread wear or greater may have closed the gap
between them and D.O.T slicks. The handicap can
be handled later as a separate issue after we have
seen direct competition between tire types on like
cars.
Reno SCCA Newsletter
Now, I can't help but assume the 1-2-3 finish in street tire by 3 sti's, as well as 5 out of the top 15 PAX finishers being Street tire cars helped prompt this move. I think the HUGE size of the street tire class has definatley diluted the racing in the regular classes and Street Tire Open seems to have become a "keeping up with the Subaru's class".

Honestly, it's not a bad suggestion, in fact, it may bring some "class" competition back to the region. For instance, in Street Mod, the way it is right now, I would have beat the race tire cars in most events last year, even on street tires( as would most of the STi's in seccs). This is mainly due to the fact that we don't have any regular fast cars in SM in reno. Now, in ESP, where Mike K and Scott would have run, they would have been up against the mustangs, 2 of which are very fast and competitive. It would have been likely that they would not have won the class in raw time, but with that pax factor for street tire, they would have done well.

There are positives and negatives to this proposal, I can't help but feel a little paranoid that the Subies are being targeted, but for competition sake, I think it could be a good move. In the long run, I think the idea is to reduce the stree tire "pax break", it looks like this format will aid in that decision.

What are your thoughts?
Old 2005-12-27, 07:59 AM   #2
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

I think this is a great idea. This makes me think another year without race tyres wouldn't be so bad (I had to say that, my wallet is listening in). Especially if they dilute the pax modifier for street tyres and we still clean up in SM
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 08:20 AM   #3
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

If they are singling out the STi's, should we consider that a compliment?

Since, I don't understand any of the racing stuff like Matt and MikeK, I think I will leave it up to the "PROFESSIONALS."
Old 2005-12-27, 08:31 AM   #4
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
I think this is a great idea. This makes me think another year without race tyres wouldn't be so bad (I had to say that, my wallet is listening in). Especially if they dilute the pax modifier for street tyres and we still clean up in SM
Exactly my feelings Mike. While I want to race for a class title, I still would rather focus my tire $$$ on track/ trials tires. I think this will make for some very fun competition...I'm pretty sure I'll vote for this change.
Old 2005-12-27, 08:55 AM   #5
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Well, the GRM Article shows the race tires have kept up. on a 40 second course, the best race tires were still a full 2.2 seconds faster than the best ST tire. This says the ST modifier is still below the real difference. I haven't crunched the numbers from Nationals, or the tour events, but I bet just like last year, they will show the same thing.

The ESP STIs were a PAX killer last year. Nuff said. If we had one on R compounds, Mike would probably have been smoked.(No criticism of Mike's driving intended)

Most of the Reno region race tire cars are under prepared, and they can quite their whining and live with it. The numbers don't lie. Why Does Larry Capen beat ASP cars in his less than ideal BSP car? Because he has spent the time to make it as good as he can, and he drives extremely well.

I do agree that ST has reached critical mass, and should be split up amung the R classes. Idealy, they should be competing for the single class trophy (BS/TBS), (BSP,TBSP)... But good luck getting the software to do that!

What are people's thoughts on the novice class? was it a success? Should we continue it?

Last edited by Dean; 2005-12-27 at 08:57 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 09:00 AM   #6
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
What are people's thoughts on the novice class? was it a success? Should we continue it?
I think novice was a great idea, and should definately stay. I wish we had it in my first year. Being thrown in with the regular classes when you are new can be intimidating and a little discouraging.
Old 2005-12-27, 09:02 AM   #7
MattR
El Matador

Quote:
Well, the GRM Article shows the race tires have kept up. on a 40 second course, the best race tires were still a full 2.2 seconds faster than the best ST tire. This says the ST modifier is still below the real difference. I haven't crunched the numbers from Nationals, or the tour events, but I bet just like last year, they will show the same thing.

Agreed, after reading that article, as well as numerous threads on different boards...the Kumho/ Hoosier cars are significantly faster than street tire cars. I think the reason the street tire cars are so fast in Reno is the fact that many cars are prepared to the "low end" of their class rules. Like you said Dean.
Old 2005-12-27, 09:04 AM   #8
MattR
El Matador

Quote:

I think the Novice class is a great addition. It also lets us balance the run groups pretty well. Like Mike said, I think its a great alternative to being thrown into a class in your first few events. Especially if we make the changes to street tire, Novice needs to stay.
Old 2005-12-27, 09:26 AM   #9
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

I like the idea. Personally, it was always strange to me that Street Tire had its own class. It makes sense to have a handicap, but its own class always seemed wierd to me.

I guess I attain my goal of competing in ESP w/ street tires this year.
Old 2005-12-27, 11:50 AM   #10
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

I being one to have taken advantage of the novice class see it as a blessing, like MikeK said, it is a daunting task to jump right into the main stream competition. I am still a noob, but I am looking forward to competing in a regular class this next season. I know I wouldn't be so motivated if I hadn't been able to run Novice this year. It was fun, and a great learning experience.

Maybe I should purchase a set of Hoosier for next year so that I can beat MikeK. He was always at least 2 seconds faster then me. LOL
Old 2005-12-27, 12:10 PM   #11
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaSTi
Maybe I should purchase a set of Hoosier for next year so that I can beat MikeK. He was always at least 2 seconds faster then me. LOL
you don't need hoosiers, you need seat time! Keep showing up, you will easily pick up 2 seconds over the course of a year just from the practice.
Old 2005-12-27, 12:28 PM   #12
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

What Mike said. Run every RNP oportunity you can. That should be 1/2 the events or so. Go to school, and test & tunes... Even track days help sort of.
Old 2005-12-27, 12:36 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I'm down with this change. This is actually how I thought it worked the first event I ran in. Applying the ST pax within the same class makes more sense to me anyways.
Old 2005-12-27, 01:44 PM   #14
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
you don't need hoosiers, you need seat time! Keep showing up, you will easily pick up 2 seconds over the course of a year just from the practice.
Seat time, and some coaching wouldn't hurt. Get Dean in the passenger seat yelling at you to brake! turn! gas!

Hoosiers weren't necessarily the best race tire in 2005 anyway. (From my experience, the Kuhmo V710 outshone the S04's and the S05's.)

I thought this change was prompted by concerns over small class sizes; and not due to targeting Subarus. It'll remain to be seen what kind of whining will occur about whether the adjustment factor is right.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 03:35 PM   #15
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I'm totally on board with this idea. With the addition of the Novice program, we no longer need a Street Tire only class, since that was the original purpose of the ST class. Mixing the ST cars in with their parent classes returns the competition back where it belongs.