Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2008-11-10, 04:02 PM   #1
fuente
n00b

Car: 2006 WRX Limited MT VF39 Protuned, with Cold Air Box, Sway Bars, Walboro FP, Hallman MBC

Do Work!
Default Question about 2008 STI Intercooler for a VF-39 Swap.

So, I am going to do a VF39 swap with a 2008 STI intercooler for my 2006 WRX. I have heard that there may be an issue with one of the brackets lining up right and I know that the new intercooler is a bit bigger than previous models. If I buy a new splitter and bellows (I can only find it for 2006-07 Model Years) will it fit over the new intercooler?

Also, has anyone done this swap before with a 2006-07 WRX? Do you have any suggestions with the install or supporting mods? I am planning on putting in a step colder spark plugs and I already have a COBB AP, full Cobb Turboback, and all-new mounts.
fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 04:16 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

With the short amount of time that the '08 STi's been out, and the fact that not too many people have purchased them (thus putting '08 take-off parts on the market for the rest of us), I don't think there's much knowledge about what will swap over and what won't.

I think you're probably going to be the 1st one on SECCS trying an '08 TMIC swap onto a <'08, and in fact may be one of the first in general to try it. I think you're just gonna have to try it and let everyone else know.
Old 2008-11-10, 06:37 PM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I have a low mileage VF43 (The same as the VF39 only better) if you are interested. Any particular reason to go '08 intercooler instead of any of a number of stock or aftermarket '04-07 intercoolers?

I have a monster ebay intercooler for ultra cheap as well.
Old 2008-11-10, 09:07 PM   #4
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Dean you are suppose to forget about that ebay intercooler until I come to you someday asking to buy it.
Old 2008-11-10, 09:18 PM   #5
fuente
n00b

Car: 2006 WRX Limited MT VF39 Protuned, with Cold Air Box, Sway Bars, Walboro FP, Hallman MBC

Do Work!

i already have the VF39 and intercooler. I would like to install myself but i would like to have some help if someone has done this before. If I paid 100 and threw ina case of beer, would anyone want to help me out?
Old 2008-11-10, 11:31 PM   #6
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Dude a case of beer should be enough to get someone to help. I'd be willing to help. When are you trying to do this?
Old 2008-11-11, 12:38 AM   #7
fuente
n00b

Do Work!

I am planning on doing this when my classes are over at UNR. So mid December, which will give me plenty of time to get some more parts that i need, like hoses and a bigger splitter and an intercooler sprayer. etc. I would be great to have some help. I was thinking about going to the next meet this Thursday for the first time. If you r going we could get things rolling.
Old 2008-11-13, 09:52 PM   #8
Dewey
EJ251

Car: 98 RSTi Unicorn!
Class: Street Modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuente View Post
I am planning on doing this when my classes are over at UNR. So mid December, which will give me plenty of time to get some more parts that i need, like hoses and a bigger splitter and an intercooler sprayer. etc. I would be great to have some help. I was thinking about going to the next meet this Thursday for the first time. If you r going we could get things rolling.
I'm not sure I have met you, I go to UNR too. I would be willing to help. Just PM me if you haven't been able to find someone already.

-Chris
Old 2008-11-15, 08:22 AM   #9
rubberbiscuitt
EJ22

Car: L

just push the brake pedal.

more help here, just pm if you don't have enough...

i thought the intercooler on the 08's have plastic end tanks and a 2 bolt flange on the hot side...?
Old 2008-11-15, 11:26 AM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbiscuitt View Post
more help here, just pm if you don't have enough...

i thought the intercooler on the 08's have plastic end tanks and a 2 bolt flange on the hot side...?
I think that's just on the WRX. The STi IC is the same design as previous years STi IC's, it's just a bit bigger and doesn't have the STi logo, IIRC.
Old 2008-12-02, 12:46 PM   #11
fuente
n00b

Do Work!
Default I think there may be an issue

I was experimenting the other day and removed by stock intercooler to see how the 2008 intercooler may fit, and it is fucking huge! I know that I am going to have to fabricate a new bracket on the passenger side, but what worries me is that the intercooler is so big that the wastegate on the stock turbo was in the way of the bottom of intercooler from mounting. Is the VF-39 designed a bit different so as to allow fitment.