Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-08-24, 10:42 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Check out this trick way to bleed your brakes

My old boss sent me this link, he uses it on his Viper to bleed the brakes.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html

Basically it's a presurized tank of new brake fluid that is attached to the reservoir. As you crack open the bleeder screw, new fluid is forced into the system at the top, pushing old fluid out of the calipers. So no pumping, no helpers needed, no refilling the reservoir. Flush the brakes in about 10 minutes by yourself!

The "Import Power Bleeder" is $65 and will work on all Subarus, and most other imports. Or for $100 you can get the larger 4qt model with every friggen attachment and be able to bleed anything.
Old 2004-08-24, 11:29 AM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

The problem is that you need the really expensive ones with a pressure bladder that sperates the air from the fluid, not just pressure in the chamber with the fluid...

Air pressure in the chamber with the fluid just puts air in the fluid which is one of the key things we are trying to avoid...

You could make one of these with a small gerden sprayer, and a spare brake fluid cap, but why... get some milkshakes, and have a party...
Old 2004-08-24, 11:39 AM   #3
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Nate uses a Snap-On unit like the above, but it uses normal air hoses for pressure (hook it to a compressor) instead of the standalone pump. Works really well.......
Old 2004-08-24, 02:14 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
The problem is that you need the really expensive ones with a pressure bladder that sperates the air from the fluid, not just pressure in the chamber with the fluid...

Air pressure in the chamber with the fluid just puts air in the fluid which is one of the key things we are trying to avoid...

You could make one of these with a small gerden sprayer, and a spare brake fluid cap, but why... get some milkshakes, and have a party...
Boy Dean, I guess if it's not a two man job using Motorcraft 550 fluid, then it must be the wrong way to do it.
Old 2004-08-24, 02:32 PM   #5
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

We have one that looks almost identical to that (may be the same one, I can't remember off the top of my head) for use on the racecar.
Old 2004-08-24, 03:21 PM   #6
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!

I have seen this whie looking for brake lines and was wondering if it is worth the money :?
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 03:32 PM   #7
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean

Boy Dean, I guess if it's not a two man job using Motorcraft 550 fluid, then it must be the wrong way to do it.
Right you are Ken
Old 2004-08-25, 04:25 PM   #8
dirtyWRX
EJ18

I have a very similar setup that I would be more than willing to sell. Bottom line, there is really no need, and they are WAY more trouble than they are worth. See, the problem is getting a good seal on the top of the reservior. The kit I have uses a spare tire (great idea, really) for pressure. The problem is that the strap setup to get the top on is a huge pain in the ass. Bottom line, last time I used it, I thought it was working, then POP, brake fluid everywhere.

Now I just have a bottle with a fairly tight fitting hose that I just slip over the nipple. I do it myself without a helper monkey, and I have never had a problem with air in the lines. So long as the seal around the nipple is tight, there really is no way to introduce air into the system. The only advantage a pressureized system has, is that you don't have to pump your brakes or refill the reservior.

Bleeding brakes is a lot easier than some seem to think it is.

I know some people using speed-bleeders. They have a little ball bearing check valve, so that fluid/air can only go one way. I have also see these break inside calipers...

Berndt
dirtyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 08:51 PM   #9
THAWA
EJ18

or you could make your own for much cheaper and use your engine as the vacuum source. I have yet to actually make one (too lazy to buy a torch), but others have made it on the cheap and it works too
Old 2004-08-26, 09:06 AM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I have speed bleeders on my car. They're nice because you can pump the fluid out w/o having to on/off the valve over and over manually. However, to really get the system free of all air, you need to have a person to crack/close the bleeder while someone else presses the pedal.

I was under the impression that the seal on the reservoir was pretty good... it looks like it clamps on, then has a chain and hooks to really lock it down. A better setup would be a reservior from a BMW or Porsche, or other European car, since they have threaded caps that the bleeder setup would just screw onto... but swapping out the reservior sounds like overkill.

I'll agree w/ Berndt, bleeding the brakes really isn't that hard (I've done like 4 cars since last Thursday). I just thought having a setup like that pressurized tank would only make it easier for everyone in the club.