Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-11-07, 12:22 PM   #26
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice
Hey qksubi. I have checked and the restrictor pill is in the hose. I have not done anything with it. If there was an exhaust leak, such as from the turbo to the DP, would that effect the boost? I think i have seen you drive by a few times. You live over by my friend Dustin who had the evo. Maybe sometime I can swing by and let you check it out.
Yeah I live down the street! and yes it will effect boost!!! yeah come on by I wont be back until thursday! Are you the guy with the blue WRX? when you changed your exhuast did you get new gaskets? The uppipe to turbo should sealed real well also did you do headers if so thats your problem!
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 12:25 PM   #27
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Aim for the EYES!

I will be at home today until 3 or so I live at 10558 crystal bay drive past dustins house 2 blocks and turn left Im on the right side of the steet!
Old 2006-11-07, 12:39 PM   #28
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksubi
Yeah I live down the street! and yes it will effect boost!!! yeah come on by I wont be back until thursday! Are you the guy with the blue WRX? when you changed your exhuast did you get new gaskets? The uppipe to turbo should sealed real well also did you do headers if so thats your problem!
Na the blue rex is our other friend cody. I had the silver saturn Ion, which im trying to sell. I bought this 04 silver rex about 3 weeks ago now and its been a hell of a pain. It came with a catless TBE which I had to take off to pass smog. While taking it off I saw that the person who had first installed the TBE had cut off one of the turbo studs to get the stock exhaust off. Then while I was taking the other nuts off, one of the other studs worked its way out. That was the range of emotion I went through when I saw all that. SOOO anyways I fixed it the best I could and put the stud back in and it seems to be sealed pretty good, but by what your saying there has to be a leak. So I am going to take it all apart and I am gonna drill out where the studs were and just use 5 bolts instead of 3 bolts 2 studs. Im thinking that something could be wrong with the turbo as well. Maybe when I take it out I can show you or bring it on thursday to the bullys and everyone can gather around and say "wtf is going on with this turbo".
100_Percent_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 01:10 PM   #29
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I think the leak would have to be pre-turbo (re: uppipe, headers) to affect boost like that.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 01:23 PM   #30
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
I think the leak would have to be pre-turbo (re: uppipe, headers) to affect boost like that.
Yeah, a post turbo leak won't drop 7psi. I'm still thinking there might be a boost leak in the intercooler hoses, or even something pre-turbo, but after the MAF.
Old 2006-11-07, 01:41 PM   #31
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

hmmm. Damn, well I am going to take off the intercooler to get the turbo out and I guess I can check for leaks and then make sure I snug it up when I put it back on. Other then that I really out of ideas. Is it possible that the turbo is just bad? It is making 9psi so I figured that the turbo was fine.
Old 2006-11-07, 01:50 PM   #32
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
hmmm. Damn, well I am going to take off the intercooler to get the turbo out and I guess I can check for leaks and then make sure I snug it up when I put it back on. Other then that I really out of ideas. Is it possible that the turbo is just bad? It is making 9psi so I figured that the turbo was fine.
Unless it's leaking oil all over the place, or making awful noises, the turbo is probably fine.

I'm guessing post-turbo intake leak because that would explain the propencity for the car to die at idle, and the boost leak. 9psi sounds a little high for the wastegate control to be out (normally if the solenoid's busted or leaking, you get about 7psi), but that too could be an issue.

If it was an exhaust leak causing you to lose that much boost, you'd easily be able to hear it.

You could always come out to the meet on Thursday and we can poke around under the hood. Make sure you bring a flashlight or two though... it gets dark fucking early!
Old 2006-11-07, 02:07 PM   #33
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Unless it's leaking oil all over the place, or making awful noises, the turbo is probably fine.
Yeah about that...

About 2 weeks ago it was smoking a little from where the turbo is. I was never able to find where the oil was coming from, but at the most random times it would do it. There was a pancake size spot of oil on my driveway one day. There was never a rhyme or reason why it did that, so I bought an oil treatment from Kragen and poured that in. It was a very safe oil additive because I know some can cause more damage then good. Anyways since I used that, the oil burning stopped. There is a brownish mark on top of the turbo. I dont know if it was there before or not but it looks similar to when you burn sugar, its like a blackish hard spot almost looks like tar.... or oil treatment. I dont know, you guys will have to look at it. It might have come from the oil feed line, i hope thats what it is.
Old 2006-11-07, 02:09 PM   #34
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Yeah about that...

About 2 weeks ago it was smoking a little from where the turbo is. I was never able to find where the oil was coming from, but at the most random times it would do it. There was a pancake size spot of oil on my driveway one day. There was never a rhyme or reason why it did that, so I bought an oil treatment from Kragen and poured that in. It was a very safe oil additive because I know some can cause more damage then good. Anyways since I used that, the oil burning stopped. There is a brownish mark on top of the turbo. I dont know if it was there before or not but it looks similar to when you burn sugar, its like a blackish hard spot almost looks like tar.... or oil treatment. I dont know, you guys will have to look at it. It might have come from the oil feed line, i hope thats what it is.
Check to make sure the turbo inlet hose is properly attached to the turbo... I know Cody had his come loose at the last autocross and he was burning some blow-by oil that was in the intake track on the turbo itself.

Also, if you've got a blown turbo, I've got a stock WRX turbo or a SBR GT30-10 I'll sell you cheap.
Old 2006-11-07, 02:13 PM   #35
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

how cheap and how many miles do you have on it?
Old 2006-11-07, 02:18 PM   #36
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
how cheap and how many miles do you have on it?
I'd sell the stock turbo for $100... it's got <40,000 miles on it IIRC...

The GT30-10 has only 2000 miles on it:

http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthre...hlight=gt30-10

Since no one was interested in it, I'd let it go for $500 at this point.
Old 2006-11-07, 02:20 PM   #37
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Check to make sure the turbo inlet hose is properly attached to the turbo... I know Cody had his come loose at the last autocross and he was burning some blow-by oil that was in the intake track on the turbo itself.

Also, if you've got a blown turbo, I've got a stock WRX turbo or a SBR GT30-10 I'll sell you cheap.
Yah, the hose was on the inlet, but the hose clamp was just completely loose. Easy fix. Hopefully it's somthing simple like that to explain the oil leak, but that wouldn't have anything to do with low boost.
Old 2006-11-07, 02:25 PM   #38
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

I was looking at getting a new turbo in the future anyways. If the future happens to be now then yes I am interested in at least one of your turbos. How does the SBR GT30-10 compare to the IHI VF30 or the FPGreen in terms of whp and spool?
Old 2006-11-07, 08:15 PM   #39
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I was looking at getting a new turbo in the future anyways. If the future happens to be now then yes I am interested in at least one of your turbos. How does the SBR GT30-10 compare to the IHI VF30 or the FPGreen in terms of whp and spool?
There was tremendous hope that the GT30-10 was going to be *the* turbo for the 2.0L. Unfortunately, it didn't really live up to the hype. However, I found the lag to be acceptable, and we put down 260awhp on my car, and that was on the stock fuel pump, 'cause the shop that did the work *forgot* to install my Walbro.

I don't really know how the VF30 and FPGreen work on a 2.0L motor, but I've got to think that the GT30-10 will spool faster than a Green and make about the same power, but will make less torque... at least that's the experience I had on my 2.5L block.
Old 2006-11-07, 09:15 PM   #40
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Well if I were to buy the GT30 from you, what other things would I need? Fuel injectors, pump, bigger intercooler? I will most likely just buy your stock one if its in good condition just because im looking at cost now. And I would rather spend $100 on another stock turbo then spend my time trying to fix the studs on mine which is probably broken as is. Im gonna go take a pic of it right now so you can all see where the burnt oil looking part is.
Old 2006-11-07, 09:24 PM   #41
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Turbo, injectors (I've got a set of PE800's I can sell ya), fuel pump, intercooler, and a custom tune would be the minimum IMO.

If you need the stocker, just let me know and I can bring it to a meet, or meet up w/ you some other time. Just let me know!
Old 2006-11-07, 09:27 PM   #42
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Here are the pics of the turbo. Im pretty sure the black stuff if the oil additive that I added, I figure thats where oil was coming from and that blocked it up.

Thoughts...
Old 2006-11-09, 02:45 PM   #43
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

I would like to get new intercooler hoses for my 04 rex. Does it matter what brand they are? I know there are cheap ones on ebay and then prices vary depending on the brand.
Old 2006-11-09, 03:35 PM   #44
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I've heard that Perrin and Samco are both good.
Old 2006-11-09, 05:39 PM   #45
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Aim for the EYES!

Well I looked and drove his today all I can say maybe the exhuast might be to large for the 2.0 and its not seal properly on the waste gate side but that exhuast is huge
Old 2006-11-09, 05:40 PM   #46
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Aim for the EYES!

Oh yeah here is where they moved the maps to!
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Old 2006-11-09, 06:25 PM   #47
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Thanks Bro
Old 2006-11-09, 06:26 PM   #48
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksubi
Well I looked and drove his today all I can say maybe the exhuast might be to large for the 2.0 and its not seal properly on the waste gate side but that exhuast is huge
I don't think that's the problem. I was wrong once in 1984 though.
Old 2006-11-09, 07:01 PM   #49
renoguy20
EJ18

Car: 2005, Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

After I pass my smog check, ill go back to cobb stage 2 and put my dp back and tell you what boost im reaching. (Bellmouth helix v3 dp, Perrin 3in catback).

Last edited by renoguy20; 2006-11-10 at 02:55 PM.
renoguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 08:43 PM   #50
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoguy20
After I pass my smog check, ill go back to cobb stage 2 and put my dp back and tell you what boost im reaching. (Bellmouth helix v3 dp, Perring 3in catback).
Ok cool. and tell me the highest boost in each gear so I can see if mine is similar.