Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2003-12-02, 01:24 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Need for Speed: Underground... This game was made for JC...

... to say "it's RICE".

Seriously, this game is the BEST GAME EVAR to help you satiate the litter ricer in all of us!

Matt told me he went and rented it and thought it was cool, so there I was, in the belly of the beast once again (Wal-Mart) and it was staring at me from behind the anti-theft glass. So I had the 180 year old man fumble with his keys for 10 minutes, then wrestle with the glass door (I mean, c'mon that thing's gotta weight near 5 lbs, and it's on a lubricated track, so of course it's near impossible to open, right?) so I could bring home Need for Rice: Underground.

Basically it's like Grand Turismo in that you have a car, and you can buy upgrades and stuff. Then you hit the streets to find races and win money. But there's this added style/reputation element. While spending money on performance parts makes the car faster, you can also spend you money on blinging out your ride. The more bling, the more rep your cars gets. The bigger the rep, the more style points you get for doing stunts like drifts and near-misses and jumps during the races. The more style points you get, the more stuff you unlock in the game.

The physics are laughable... but they're fun. Very arcade-like handling, I'd really like braking to be at least a little necessary. However, it's a kick in the pants to go flying down a semi-deserted street at 140 dodging cones and street signs. It takes about a hour to get good at the game, then it's just about tearing it up. I've been playing most the races on "Hard" which earns you more money for wins.

There are 4 types of racing in the game: "sprints", where you race from point A to point B; "circuits", where you run several laps around the city; "drifts", where you simply have to get points for haning the ass-end out around a simplified course; and "drag" which is *awesome*.

Usually I don't get excited about drag racing in general, let alone video game drag racing which is usually really lame. But NfS pulls it off. You have this massive tach on the left of the screen and you have to make sure to shift at just the right rpm... if you nail it you get a burst of speed, you miss it and the competition pulls away. Plus you can over-heat the motor if you over-rev too long. Sounds simple till you realize that you have to do this while avoiding traffic, drafting the competition, and managing your NOS! The only drawback is that you don't really steer... basically the car tracks along one of the lanes in the road, but you can change lanes to avoid traffic, or cut off the competition.

The best part by far of the drag racing are the visuals. You know that 1st drag race in TF&TF? That's *exactly* it... I mean, exactly. It just looks cool... then you hit the NOS and everything get's blue and stretches out a bit. You just have to see it. In fact all the game's visuals were obviously developed while watching Fast N Furious... it's dead on... so dead on I'm surprised they haven't been sued.

Wow, this review got long. So in short, Need for Speed: Over-Rice is a kick in the pants that will help you get the rice out of your system before you're tempted to do something like paint your headlights or convert your dash to red. It's no Grand Tursemo, but it will do till GT4 comes out next year! I give it 4.5/5 Pleiades Stars.
Old 2003-12-02, 01:57 PM   #2
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain
Default Re: Need for Speed: Underground... This game was made for JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
... to say "it's RICE".

Wow, this review got long. So in short, Need for Speed: Over-Rice is a kick in the pants that will help you get the rice out of your system before you're tempted to do something like paint your headlights or convert your dash to red. It's no Grand Tursemo, but it will do till GT4 comes out next year! I give it 4.5/5 Pleiades Stars.
LOL i love it, paint you headlights or convert your dash to red, wait a min i want to do those things
Old 2003-12-02, 02:01 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through
Default Re: Need for Speed: Underground... This game was made for JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
Quote:
... to say "it's RICE".

LOL i love it, paint you headlights or convert your dash to red, wait a min i want to do those things
Yeah, I already did 'em both too.
Old 2003-12-02, 02:15 PM   #4
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

Sounds actually fun. I thought it was going to be as stupid as midnight club racing or whatever the hell that game was called.
Old 2003-12-03, 10:58 PM   #5
STIwish
EJ251

I love the game honestly, and I liked Midnight Club 2, that was a good game dammit Art!!! but NFSUG is hella fun
Old 2003-12-03, 11:37 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I never played Midnight Club 2, but I rented the 1st one, and it SUCKED... mostly because the racing simply wasn't fun.
Old 2003-12-04, 01:33 AM   #7
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

I hear ya there Scott.. I hated number 1 but NFSUG is awesome i think ... Just because it has cool cars ... Yeah maybe i am a bit RICEY but thats just me....

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 09:01 AM   #8
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
I hear ya there Scott.. I hated number 1 but NFSUG is awesome i think ... Just because it has cool cars ... Yeah maybe i am a bit RICEY but thats just me....
Don't make me change your title to "Ghostricer". Ahhahaha... (dammit, why didn't I think of that months ago!?)
Old 2003-12-04, 08:23 PM   #9
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
Don't make me change your title to "Ghostricer". Ahhahaha... (dammit, why didn't I think of that months ago!?)
Hey !! Wait a minute ..... that was a put down

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 10:43 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
Hey !! Wait a minute ..... that was a put down
No, I'm just pretending that I'm clever. Besides, compared to the STi, that EVO is way less ricier.
Old 2003-12-05, 06:42 PM   #11
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

I think we need some pictures of you playing the game. You know, to see how phun it looks.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-28, 08:58 PM   #12
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Dude! I'm so hooked on this damn game.

Scott, I busted out a 31,000 point drift today!!!!! I have this sick RX-& that ownZ teh Drift races.

We have all got to get together to play this game.

It rulz
Old 2003-12-28, 09:24 PM   #13
STIwish
EJ251

Why? You're just going to kick your ass kicked in it
Old 2004-01-13, 08:48 PM   #14
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Since I'm in the title, I should point out I did buy this game and I have a Skyline and I can't get any farther.

JC
Old 2004-01-22, 03:54 PM   #15
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

So, I'm to race # 79. I've decided to keep my RSX. Why is it that it is fast4r than the Supra. The RSX is the best car so far by a long shot. I eclipsed my drift race record last night, with 195,000+ points on a 4 lap race. I have decided that NFS:Underground is my best substitute for a life.