Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-01-09, 07:55 AM   #1
JoelK
EJ22

Question Getting summer tires siped

I've been on a massive road trip the past few months, and I still haven't been back to NV so my WRX is still using the Falken Azenis ST115 summer tires I have. I've already encountered one snow in my travels that left me motionless for 3 days, and I know I'm bound to find more. I don't think I'll be back to NV until sometime in April to swap out tires for my winter tires.

I happened across a site the other day that put an idea in my head that siping summer tires might actually be effective. Here's the page:
http://www.sipers.com/sipers/siping_tests.asp

What do you think? Is it worth doing? These tires have about 8000 miles on them already, though the tread still looks great.
How is Discount Tire with tire siping? Ever siped your own tires before?
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/sipe/

Thanks.
Old 2006-01-09, 10:01 AM   #2
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

I'd be interested to see some other independent studies. Their control "High Performance" tire is a Pilot Sport, and the difference between the Pilot Sport and the Pilot Sport All Season looks to be a little more then just siping. Personally, I would think that compound is more beneficial then tread pattern for the snow.

But, thats not to say the siping wouldn't be better then none at all. I dunno what to say in this case.
Old 2006-01-09, 10:06 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Siping would help, but as soon as summer comes back around, I'd be worried about having a tire that would come apart in chunks. Plus, as nKoan said, the biggest difference between winter and summer tires is the compound. Sure the siping and grooves help a winter tire dig into the snow, but it's the compound that gives it grip in the cold that's most important.

IMO it would be better to spend the money shipping your winters to yourself than to spend the money on siping. Can you get someone to ship your winters to a location ahead of your route?
Old 2006-01-09, 11:06 AM   #4
JoelK
EJ22

I've thought about getting them shipped, and while I probably could have someone do that, the problem remains that wherever I swap tires, there my summer tires will be. So I'll effectively have to ship twice, and these tires do have rims mounted, making for about 30 lb. per tire/wheel combo, which isn't cheap to ship.

I am planning to leave the country in Feb and return in April so it's not THAT big of a deal, but if I head west in early April, I'm very likely to encounter snow somewhere on the trek. I've already tried to drive in a couple inches of snow and the car slid like crazy (I didn't go more than a quarter mile). I have always believed the compound makes the biggest difference, but I am willing to give siping a try if it really would help and wouldn't dramatically reduce the lifespan of the tire.

The sad thing is that I should have just purchased all seasons in May instead of getting more summer tires (knowing at the time that it was possible I wouldn't be back to NV before snow season). I second guessed myself the next day, but the tires had already been shipped by that point. Oh well.
Old 2006-01-09, 07:09 PM   #5
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I wouldn't sipe a set of summer tires. Find a set of stockers with RE92s on them, or get someone to ship yours to you. Unless you have a very full car, lugging a set of wheels/tires back isn't bad. I fit 4 race tires, my track stuff, etc in my car all the time. You could leave the spare behind to save room if needed.
Old 2006-01-11, 08:36 AM   #6
JoelK
EJ22

My car is nearly completely full... 2 guitars, trumpet, set of speakers, 2 big suitcases, printer, firebox, 2 lights, 3 full duffle bags, toolbox, and a whole host of other little things in it. It would be impossible to lug even one tire and wheel in it.

I'm still not sure what to do. :-/ I suppose if I could find a set of stockers in KC or Springfield, MO for $100, I would do that and figure out how to get my summer wheels back to me later.
Old 2006-01-11, 12:24 PM   #7
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I know nothing about shipping stuff via freight service. Maybe Matt can chime in. I'm pretty sure it is cheaper than UPS, but you have to go to a depot to pick them up...