Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2007-09-21, 08:22 AM   #1
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends
Default To snow tire or not to snow tire, das ist kvestion

So who runs dedicated snows and who runs on all-seasons around here?

I don't go to the ski hills or anything, but I do drive to Tahoe and down the Eastern Sierra a good bit during winter. I've had snows in the past, everything from hakkapellittas with full studs to glacier grips on other cars. I've felt that they were overkill on an awd Suby, save for when I was commuting to UNR from Truckee everyday during winter. Since I'm not doing that anymore, I'm looking for input. I drove on my re-92's in some snows this spring when I first got my WRX and was not pleased with their performance, though they got me there, the grip was terrible.

I've been thinking of an approach for this winter. Either:

1) Get full non-studded snows for the OEM wheels, swapping them with some suitable tires for autox in the late spring when I finally get started. Get aftermarket wheels for DD purposes and pimp style the rest of the year.

2) Get all seasons, more well-rounded, but driveable all year, on some aftermarket wheels, keep OEM wheels for autox duty. I don't need to be pulling g's on the street.

What have you all been running and how suitable/ satisfactory have they been?

I basically just want traction during winter, versatility during summer (some dirt roads will happen, also roadtrips) my DD tires don't need to be super high perf, but I want to be stable and have fun while driving. I also don't want to have to break beads every season at the tire shop, and conversely don't want to run around all summer on heavy sipes and tread making noise and getting worn out before snow comes back again.

If I get some wintery tires for the OEM wheels, I'll still have to have the tires swapped every fall/spring from autox perf tires to winters, so...
Old 2007-09-21, 08:33 AM   #2
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

The Toyo Proxes 4's I've run on the stock rims for the two winters that I've lived here worked okay in ice/snow. They were a little scary when attempting to stop on ice or in deep snow, but for a high performance all season, they rocked. They are excellent in the rain and dry too and wear like iron.

I'm finally replacing them with Dunlp Wintersport 3D's though. Should be another tire you could run year round with good results but comparitively they'll be much better in the snow and a little less grippy in the dry.
Old 2007-09-21, 08:36 AM   #3
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

I've had snow tires the last few years, and they definitely make life easier in the winter. If you get a performance snow tire, you'll still get around fine in the snow but you'll be happier when the roads are clear. Something like a Dunlop Wintersport M3 or Blizzak LM25 is great, or the Hankook W300 if you're on a lower budget. I've used the W300 for the last 2 winters and I'm pretty happy with them.

I think you could get by on a good all season, but it won't be as safe when the roads are covered in white stuff.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 08:39 AM   #4
left footed whooten
EJ251

Where are you getting the Hankook's? Anyone ever use the Nokians, the WR's? Price is a factor, the 215 45 17 size makes them a little more spendy.
Old 2007-09-21, 08:41 AM   #5
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Discount tire is where I got them originally. They had a local store at the time, but you'd have to get them online now. Nokians are very nice, but I've never wanted to spend that much money on them.
Old 2007-09-21, 08:43 AM   #6
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...09&rd=17&ar=45

Looks like you would have to run 225/45/17, they don't come in 215 width.
Old 2007-09-21, 08:43 AM   #7
left footed whooten
EJ251

Yeah, if I was to spend that kind of cash, it would be Nokian all the way.
Old 2007-09-21, 08:54 AM   #8
left footed whooten
EJ251

I'm going to see what Mill st tire can quote me on some Nokians. I'll post up their quotes.
Old 2007-09-21, 08:56 AM   #9
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

I can't remember what I run, you'll have to remind me
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 08:57 AM   #10
left footed whooten
EJ251

Of course they stopped making those budget Pirellis. They were great the few times I ran them in the snow. BTW how's that little slut of an OB treating you?
Old 2007-09-21, 09:01 AM   #11
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

I had to get the AC re-gassed, but otherwise it's been great. Plus I don't want to stab myself in the face every time I drive it, unlike the STi.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 09:11 AM   #12
left footed whooten
EJ251

Coilovers a little rough on the gooch, eh? Glad to hear mom's old ride is behaving.

I'll be by the tire shop soon after I get a haircut, I'll post up some prices of the Nokians. I've had good luck with Mill st tire in the past for tires only. Alignments, not so much.
Old 2007-09-21, 09:14 AM   #13
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

When I had my STi, I bought another set of rims for winter use. I ran Blizzak Revo's and absolutely loved them for ice and snow use. On dry pavement they were like driving around on a gummy worm.

The only time I ever slide on the ice was when there was shear ice with a little bit of fresh powdered snow on top of it. But then again, I don't know of any tire combination that won't have a problem with that scenario.
Old 2007-09-21, 09:25 AM   #14
left footed whooten
EJ251

Yeah, see the gummi worm thing is what I don't want, especially since we never know if winter will be snowy or not. Who knows how much snow we'll actually get. I'm hoping for realistic prices on the hakka RSi/ WR/ WRG2...we'll see. The other common ones are ~$115's to $140's already, so hopefully these will fall within this range.

I plan on driving to Yosemite frequently this winter (down 80 to 99 then in to the hwy 120 west entrance) so well rounded but very able in the snow is my goal. The RSi's are supposed to be good and low noise for the type of tire....or tyre.
Old 2007-09-21, 09:46 AM   #15
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Search for "Snow Ice tires". Back in 2005 I summarized TR and CR data on Snows. The Nokians didn't cut it.

Even the best AS can't touch the worst dedicated snows in snow/ice performance, but many are acceptable for light snow on maintained roads. Snows are a must in the deeper stuff or ice & hills.

I've run both the ASX and Nero all seasons on the A4 for a few years and like them both. Compared to my W300s (Good) or Debbie's Revos(great) in the snow though, they are only fair, but acceptable.

A quick review of TR data shows that probably the best UHP AS tire remains the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. I had these on the A4 before the ASXs and they were better, but at the time I was replacing them they were almost twice the price. Now they are much more reasonably priced and they do very well in the dry as well.

Last edited by Dean; 2007-09-21 at 09:52 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 09:51 AM   #16
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

I'm pretty sure Nokian WRs are going to be closer to $170 in your size. When I priced them a couple of years ago they were quite a bit more than the other options. The RSi will be even more I bet.
Old 2007-09-21, 09:58 AM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I don't know if they're still on sale, but this is from my Tire Rack Invoice a few months ago:

Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

205/55VR16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D IN STOCK 4 $96.00 $384.00

Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

GY/DU REGISTRATION CARD IN STOCK 1 N/C N/C

Item(s) Total:
$384.00
Sales Tax: $28.32
Excise Tax: $0.00
State Waste Tire Fund Fee: $4.00
Shipping: $0.00

Order Total:
$416.32
Old 2007-09-21, 10:04 AM   #18
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
Yeah, see the gummi worm thing is what I don't want, especially since we never know if winter will be snowy or not. Who knows how much snow we'll actually get. I'm hoping for realistic prices on the hakka RSi/ WR/ WRG2...we'll see. The other common ones are ~$115's to $140's already, so hopefully these will fall within this range.

I plan on driving to Yosemite frequently this winter (down 80 to 99 then in to the hwy 120 west entrance) so well rounded but very able in the snow is my goal. The RSi's are supposed to be good and low noise for the type of tire....or tyre.
If you are forced to regularly drive 80 during a storm, snows are the thing to have. Get a set of Revo 1s on closeout and be done. If it is your choice and you can wait a few hours or so for the storm to blow through and the plows to get it well groomed, good all seasons are fine.
Old 2007-09-21, 12:00 PM   #19
left footed whooten
EJ251

Hmmm.... tires for the 06 size are few and far between. Tirerack has 8 to choose from.

Dunlop wintersport M3's are $127 ea in my 215 45 17, maybe I should score some RS 6 spokes so I can run 205 55 16's again. Cheaper and more choices. They don't offer the 3D in my size.

Nokian WR's in my size are $181+$15 shipping each....eeep!

Dean, where are you getting your revo's? I'd like to check them out.

EDIT: oops, tirerack, I see, but only in 225 45....curses! I really didn't want to go up in width for my winter tire, but damn, nobody offers much choice in the stock WRX size. This is requiring too much thought.

Last edited by left footed whooten; 2007-09-21 at 12:04 PM.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 12:28 PM   #20
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
I really didn't want to go up in width for my winter tire, but damn, nobody offers much choice in the stock WRX size. This is requiring too much thought.
Don't worry bout the extra width. Unless you are using Rally spikes, wider and more sipes is better than narrower. The narrow thing is a crock not supported by science. And 225 is the stock size for the STI which is basically the same weight, etc. The alternative is to pick up some used stocker 16s and run 205s! That may actually be a good idea as 16" snows are cheaper by $30 or so.

If you plan to keep this car for any length of time, plan on 2-3 sets of wheels or more. 1 for snows (16s if they fit), 1 for Autocross/sticky street Azeniz 615 or RE01, 1 for dedicated street/rain SPTs, ES100s, etc., and 1 for track tires.
Old 2007-09-21, 12:37 PM   #21
GC8.Love
EJ22

Car: '01 STM Impreza 2.5 RS ; '96 "Junior Mints" colored Impreza Brighton - "Bowl of Wet Spaghetti"
Class: We got classes?

I got Kumho ASXs last year only to find that they suck the everything off of the anything in 1/4" of snow or less.

Ended up with some studable (which I haven't) 'Kooks as dedicated snow tires. I'll have to see what sort.

I'd kind of say with the off and on of our winters sometimes, just go snow..

I put mine on when the chance snow was just about a definite yes - but I'm running stock sizes (16") on both the winter and the "every other season" wheels - so it's easy(ier) for me to switch..
Old 2007-09-21, 12:39 PM   #22
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The alternative is to pick up some used stocker 16s and run 205s! That may actually be a good idea as 16" snows are cheaper by $30 or so.
The 06 wrx comes with the 4 pot calipers I think. If that's the case then the 02-05 16" Impreza rims won't clear without a spacer. 98-01 2.5RS rims will bolt right on though.
Old 2007-09-21, 12:43 PM   #23
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Don't worry bout the extra width. Unless you are using Rally spikes, wider and more sipes is better than narrower. The narrow thing is a crock not supported by science. And 225 is the stock size for the STI which is basically the same weight, etc. The alternative is to pick up some used stocker 16s and run 205s! That may actually be a good idea as 16" snows are cheaper by $30 or so.

If you plan to keep this car for any length of time, plan on 2-3 sets of wheels or more. 1 for snows (16s if they fit), 1 for Autocross/sticky street Azeniz 615 or RE01, 1 for dedicated street/rain SPTs, ES100s, etc., and 1 for track tires.
The narrow thing is not a crock Dean. The idea is that narrower tires generate more psi of pressure which helps drive them through loose snow and onto the hard surface underneath where you get actual traction. Essentially it's to reduce "hydroplaning' on snow. Trouble is, when you are on ice, it's not so helpful.
Old 2007-09-21, 12:44 PM   #24
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Oh and +1 for the Dunlop snow tires. I heartily recommend dedicated winters around here.
Old 2007-09-21, 01:23 PM   #25
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS View Post
The narrow thing is not a crock Dean. The idea is that narrower tires generate more psi of pressure which helps drive them through loose snow and onto the hard surface underneath where you get actual traction. Essentially it's to reduce "hydroplaning' on snow. Trouble is, when you are on ice, it's not so helpful.
It used to be true with older design small blocked snow tires, but not true for the newer bread of siped snows.

I am looking for the research that I believe both Michelin and Pirelli did. I have had a number of discussion about this with Pirelli engineers at Audi events. Snow is not water and it cannot be displaced in the same manner. Street cars are not rally cars. Street cars work in the world of relatively static friction for tires whereas rally cars are most often in dynamic friction. There is no "digging" down to the traction unless the tire is already sliding.

On a street tire, it is all about sipes and bitting the surface as the tire flattens onto the surface. within reason, the more sipes and surface area, the better. Also, more pressure is more likely to create localized melting and hydroplaning like an ice skate blade. Frozen water, despite public perception is not extremely slippery, it is the water on top of it that is EXTREMELY slippery.

On a 3000 pound car, 225 size snows are fine.