Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-04-04, 11:03 PM   #1
Shoobie
EJ18

Car: 2002 WRX Sedan
Default Botched my uppipe install

Spent the better part of two weekends doing TBE + uppipe. Fired it up tonight and it sounds like a massive exhaust leak from the uppipe. Shows how great of a mechanic I am. Oh well, live and learn.

On a better note, my insurance rates went up 500% for the next six months. Sweet.
Shoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 11:07 PM   #2
GusGus91
EJ205

Car: 2006 WRB WRX TR, 2008 LR STI
Class: Too classy

Dont sweat the petty... Pet the sweaty.

holy jesus. why did they go up? ticket for doing 40+ over? haha

Old 2009-04-05, 08:44 AM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from? Did you forget to plug the hole in the side of the up? How did you tighten the bolts?
Old 2009-04-05, 12:05 PM   #4
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I was able to prove the obvious with my latest UP leak. I got the front up on jackstands, removed the heat shield and started it when cold. I was able to see condensation leak out of the UP to header joint. I just had to put the hurt on the two nuts securing that joint and it sealed right up after leaking for almost a year. OEM gasket FTW.

But EQ Tuning donated a Grimspeed gasket to me for that joint for next time it starts leaking since I let all 3 of them crash here last night. Should be better than OEM since it's the same, only thicker.

I've also had a leak from driver side manifold to head that was evident from carbon spraying out on the head.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:46 PM   #5
Shoobie
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus91 View Post
holy jesus. why did they go up? ticket for doing 40+ over? haha
We've been having issues with the insurance company about who is insured on what vehicle, who is registered on which vehicle, etc... We have 3 drivers and 5 vehicles, so I [i]was[i] listed as primary driver on our oldest vehicle (1990 Toyota 4runner, liability only). Then they suspended registration on my Subaru because it's registered to me, but the primary is my dad. This confuses me because my Jeep is also registered to me, but I am not the primary. Anyway, we asked them wtf was up, and they said, "okay, everything's okay now!" We will go have a chat with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice
Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from? Did you forget to plug the hole in the side of the up? How did you tighten the bolts?
Pretty sure it's coming from the UP - turbo connection. My UP wasn't threaded for studs, so I tried to use bolts/nuts instead. That is likely the problem, as I had a hell of a time trying to get them tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
I was able to prove the obvious with my latest UP leak. I got the front up on jackstands, removed the heat shield and started it when cold. I was able to see condensation leak out of the UP to header joint. I just had to put the hurt on the two nuts securing that joint and it sealed right up after leaking for almost a year. OEM gasket FTW.

But EQ Tuning donated a Grimspeed gasket to me for that joint for next time it starts leaking since I let all 3 of them crash here last night. Should be better than OEM since it's the same, only thicker.

I've also had a leak from driver side manifold to head that was evident from carbon spraying out on the head.
I left the heatshields off, so I'll try this and see if my theory proves to be correct.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:53 PM   #6
SpamMan
EJ22

Car: 05 STi|04 WRX|05 Legacy GT Limited

Salty Meat For Your Mouth

you could get stud sets from NAPA.. if you need some help bro hit me up we could troubleshoot it...

Tommy
SpamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 06:00 PM   #7
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamMan View Post
you could get stud sets from NAPA..
If they are already drilled for bolts and nuts, standard studs are unlikely to work.

Taping the larger holes and finding fine thread exhaust grade studs/nuts is also going to be tough and the larger size may make nut fitment difficult around the tight confines of the turbo.
Old 2009-04-07, 10:55 PM   #8
Shoobie
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
If they are already drilled for bolts and nuts, standard studs are unlikely to work.

Taping the larger holes and finding fine thread exhaust grade studs/nuts is also going to be tough and the larger size may make nut fitment difficult around the tight confines of the turbo.
My thoughts exactly. I guess this is the difference between a $65 UP and a $100 UP.
Old 2009-04-08, 08:02 AM   #9
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I believe that when an UP comes without studs, they intend for you to remove the studs from the OEM pipe and reuse them. If they're available locally, though, it's not worth the effort. If NAPA doesn't work out, check R&E Fasteners. They aren't cheap, but they're hardware is top notch.
Old 2009-04-10, 02:22 PM   #10
Shoobie
EJ18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
I believe that when an UP comes without studs, they intend for you to remove the studs from the OEM pipe and reuse them. If they're available locally, though, it's not worth the effort. If NAPA doesn't work out, check R&E Fasteners. They aren't cheap, but they're hardware is top notch.
I bought new studs. The UP isn't tapped for studs; the holes are too big.

Looks like it's a ~3 hour job on the books, so that's a $300ish repair bill. I guess I'll have another go at it...
Old 2009-04-10, 02:44 PM   #11
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Just get a factory pipe and gut it.
Old 2009-04-11, 09:35 AM   #12
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

If you can't find the hardware you need locally, try McMaster-Carr.