Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-10-19, 01:52 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Apple vs. *.*

So, over the weekend I finally picked up an iPhone. I realized that while I've never considered myself an Apple fan, I've owned an iPod photo, iPod touch, MacMini, and now an iPhone... so maybe I'm more on the fence than I realized.

I actually like the Mini okay, it's nice for iTunes and web browsing... even though it's kinda slow for what it cost (I really should get an extra GB of RAM for it). I've got it hooked to my TV and it makes for a passable web experience for stuff like youtube, hulu, and abc.com. It's certainly better than dicking around with a PS3 or XBox360 for that sorta stuff, at least IMO. However, I'd never trade in my Dell laptop for my day-to-day computer use, or my home built PC for gaming, on an Apple.

I really planned on holding out on an iPhone since I didn't really want to be on the Apple bandwagon (I hate the hippies at the Apple store). I figured the iPhone would be the best smart phone out for a year or two, but then the other folks would catch up. Yet when it came down to it, years later, nothing is as good as the iPhone yet. I got familiar with the apps on my second-hand iTouch and decided I'm not going to wait for the new Android phones which really look like the only thing on the horizon that might be cool. All the other smart phones are seem good if you're a text messaging high-schooler, except the Blackberry, but those suck in their own "it feels like a 1995 Palm Pilot" sort of way.

Anyway... this thread is about Apple vs. everyone else... Apple appears to be winning right now...

...ready go!
Old 2009-10-19, 02:06 PM   #2
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Apple's design, both software and hardware and everything in between, is consistently some of the best. And sure there may be great products from other companies from time to time, no one seems to consistently match Apple.

And I still think an Apple laptop beats all for one reason alone, the multitouch track pad. Its the first trackpad that doesn't make you want to just plug in a mouse. Outside of work, I've been using an Apple laptop for close to 10 years now, when OS X first came out (scary). And when the rumored tablet comes out, I'll probably get one.

And I think the iPhone will be king of the smartphone for a long time. I think about the only thing that'll topple it, will be if Apple itself drops the ball and lets others get vastly ahead in hardware features, which isn't all that likely. And app wise, they'll still be ahead. I just think they need to drop the AT&T exclusivity in the US and make a CDMA and/or LTE/WiMax version.
Old 2009-10-19, 02:20 PM   #3
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I've never owned anything Apple, because I can always find an alternative for less money. I'm not saying I can always find something better for less money, but maybe better suited to my tastes/budget.

My ROKR E8 will soon have 10GB of storage (Came with 3 out of the box, $21.50 shipped 8Gb micro SD is en route) and it even has an FM radio and standard 3.5 headphone jack so I'm good for portable music. It was free with my $40/mo plan.

I'm not really one for mobile web/texting since it's expensive and awkward. But I do want to grab something for nav soon. I'll probably grab a cheap Tom Tom or something.

When it comes to desktops and laptops, I've never seen anything Apple that made me even consider dropping the extra cash for one. If I ever double/triple my income, I'm sure I'll have a house full of Apple stuff though.
Old 2009-10-19, 02:39 PM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

From a corporate and stock perspective, AAPL is a rock star. Earnings report today knocked the cover off the ball and hit an all time high in after hours trading. LG, Nokia, etc. are fighting over the low end commodity phones and are flailing in the smartphone space. Only RIMM is a real competitor in the space at this point due to its entrenchment in Corporate America.

iPhone sales actually missed estimates, but gross margins were great and Mac sales did well. Their agreement with CHU to get the iPhone into China will likely be incredibly lucrative, and they have quite a bit more room to grow internationally stealing market share as they do compared to their counterparts.

iTunes and the appstore continue to kick ass and have no equal much less anybody even close.

PALM and Android may start nibbling at their toes if they don't keep innovating.

I have been a Mac user since the beginning in 1984, only skipping systems 8-9. I have some real ancient ones in a closet somewhere including couple 100 series powerbooks and an original Mac II upgraded to a FX. Recently I have acquired a PPC Mini and a G4 tower. Nobody is giving away Intel Macs yet.

They make good stuff and while some things could be better, they are a force to be reckoned with moving forward.
Old 2009-10-19, 03:10 PM   #5
sti deede
EJ205

Car: '96 4runner
Class: none.

I married into a Mac family. Josh taught me how to use my Mac mini and honestly once I learn the interface, the Apple OS is much more user friendly than windows. Even the basic functions like search and file management are simpler.

I live everyday with the iPhone. It is an appendage. I was originally going to get blackberry when the iphone came out, but Josh was getting the apple, and I knew I'd want it too once I played with his. I'm definitely glad I got it.

I only use windows or at home the Intel portion of the Mac with VMware, so that I can do my work. All the software we use is windows based. Damn.
sti deede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 04:54 PM   #6
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none

I feel like apple is the best choice for all of the above stated reasons. Apple consistently comes out with great products and (usually) has great customer service and are willing to help you solve problems. I recently had a problem with my laptop and the apple care with it, but they stayed on the phone and helped me figure it all out so I could get my $800 logic board repaired for free.

Everyone else already said the reasons that I want an iPhone. I'm ok with paying the higher prices (but not enthusiastic about it) because it is just a better all-around piece of technology, in design and function.
Old 2009-10-19, 05:18 PM   #7
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

I hate Apple. I'm a PC guy, and always will be. The single-click just bugs me, but I run a Logitech mouse on the desktop Macs I have that solves that problem.

I own 3 iPods, an iPhone, an iBook (thanks, Nick), and a G3 cube that hasn't yet been turned into a tissue paper dispenser.

The G3 is for rebuilding the iBook because the iBook doesn't have a DVD drive, and they're both basically for testing stuff, but even beat up, the iBook is more reliable than some of my older Windows laptops. Being limited to 10.4 kills it and is why I have a Lenovo netbook and a Gateway notebook, because it doesn't support a lot of the new wireless authentication. Still, solid piece of hardware.

As far as the handhelds, they're the most functional and standardized devices for the money/form factor. I don't particularly care for 10.x, though I know it works well, but Apple's portable devices are great - nothing better.
Old 2009-10-19, 05:53 PM   #8
van
SECCS Brewmeister

I'm getting ready to upgrade from my macbook to a windows 7 notebook(I need a bigger screen). I like my mac and would like to have a macbook pro but the price just isn't really worth it, plus I want to be able to run solidworks/autocad/etc without having to boot up in a different OS. I'm getting kind of sick of my Iphone too, the music playback skips and stutters when I'm browsing the web and there are plenty of other problems with every other firmware update.... I'm thinking Android phone next year.

disclaimer
I change my mind every 30 minutes so don't be suprised by my "I just bought a MBP and I love it" thread.... No loyalty.

Last edited by van; 2009-10-19 at 06:17 PM.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:58 PM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

If it wasn't for my iPod, I'd have nothing Apple. And frankly, I hate some of the features (and lack thereof) of iTunes so frustrating I've left my iPod on the shelf for months without touching it, because just tossing MP3 discs in my wagon's OEM CD changer is so much more convenient.
Old 2009-10-19, 06:24 PM   #10
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
If it wasn't for my iPod, I'd have nothing Apple. And frankly, I hate some of the features (and lack thereof) of iTunes so frustrating I've left my iPod on the shelf for months without touching it, because just tossing MP3 discs in my wagon's OEM CD changer is so much more convenient.
I agree iTunes could be a lot better for users, but most of those features are not necessarily better for Apple. just like not having removable/upgradable memory on flash iPods. There are other apps that sync iPods... MediaMonkey is probably the best and has a ton of great features and macros/plugins that are even better.

Last edited by Dean; 2009-10-19 at 06:27 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 06:50 PM   #11
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

I like the iphone, but I have been holding off because everyone I know who has one bitches about cunty AT&T and their crappy slow connections. I swore I would hold off until someone like Verizon gets the iphone or something equivalent.

Some of the new android phones look pretty interesting, like this one.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 07:34 PM   #12
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

The only problem that I have with apple is the prices. They charge an absurd amount for things and they know people will just eat it up. Its really the only thing that bugs me.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:49 PM   #13
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Yeah, the retail prices are too high. Generally you are paying a 25%-33% premium for something that is arguably 5%-10% better (at least component wise). Refurbed, End of Lifed or used is definitely the way to go. The iPhone seems to be the exception, as the price is comparable to other smartphones.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:59 PM   #14
DaveWRX
EJ22

Car: 03 WRB WRX

i work for ATT and Iphones are the biggest hit and also are the biggest pain in my ass, also sperry, if you havent already go to an apple store and get there warrenty..ATT does not cover anything on the iphone
Old 2009-10-19, 09:02 PM   #15
DaveWRX
EJ22

Car: 03 WRB WRX

and Mike as an inside scoop from a guy that i know that works for verizon, they are also going to be getting an apple product as well or something very very similar to it...its suppose to give iphone a run for its money or even out do it just keep an eye out for it
Old 2009-10-20, 01:48 PM   #16
kidatari
EJ22

Class: Low

lol internet.

I waste my time beating my head against my windows boxes at work, counting the minutes until I can get home and get the relief of using my Mac. But when I get home, I don't feel like messing with computers, since it's what I do all day at work. Whodathunkit?

But seriously, I've been a Mac guy for 14 years, and I have lots of experience with Windows, Mac OS (8.x-current), and Linux, Solaris, etc.. At the end of the day, Mac OS is so much nicer to use, so much more user friendly, that I'll gladly pay money to not have to muck with Windows at home.

Oh yeah, and iPhone rox. While it does admittedly have it's shortcomings, nothing else compares.
kidatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 05:47 PM   #17
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I would have a Mac computer if it cost me roughly the same as a built PC and also had the software compatibility of a windows based system.
Old 2009-10-20, 06:05 PM   #18
van
SECCS Brewmeister

Got damn it! the new macbook is tempting me, same specs as the notebook I've been looking at buying.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 06:48 PM   #19
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Check these out, Van.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/2545...-7-Premium-800

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/2544...7-Premium-1100